• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Turning space overlap in a bathroom

That's what I'm saying! I just wanted to be sure there wasn't some reasoning on why you can't that I was missing.

Thanks ADAguy!

Yes, it can. In fact, you could install the shower fixtures right on the wall of a fully tiled powder room, and voila, it is now a full bathroom, "european style".

But note: per ADAS 304.2 changes in level are not permitted within the T-turn or 60" turning circle.
That means that when the shower space is also being used for part of the bathroom turning space, you can't even have a 1/4" lip nor a 1/2" beveled lip (ADAS 303) at the edge of the shower area. for drainage purposes, you can only have a smooth <2% slope from the bathroom floor towards the shower drain. Even with a shower curtain, there will be splashing and wet floors, a little messier than a conventional shower compartment.

As a practical matter, when we have done this in the past, we've also installed a secondary "overflow" floor drain elsewhere in the bathroom, and sloped the entire floor to drain.

That makes perfect sense. According to ANSI (2009, 304.2), you can't have a change in the floor level within the turning space either, so it would apply to residential units as well.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

I found this discussion helpful, thanks! I'm in a pinch with limited space in a shower room and am hoping to utilize the roll-in shower footprint for part of the required clearance.

UpCodes currently provides commentary about this, "Advisory 304.2 Floor or Ground Surface Exception. As used in this section, the phrase "changes in level" refers to surfaces with slopes and to surfaces with abrupt rise exceeding that permitted in Section 303.3. Such changes in level are prohibited in required clear floor and ground spaces, turning spaces, and in similar spaces where people using wheelchairs and other mobility devices must park their mobility aids such as in wheelchair spaces, or maneuver to use elements such as at doors, fixtures, and telephones. The exception permits slopes not steeper than 1:48."

Based on this, since the roll-in shower transition does not exceed the allowable bevel per Sect. 303.3, I can overlap the clearance.

2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design
Advisory 608.1 General. Shower stalls that are 60 inches wide and have no curb may increase the usability of a bathroom because the shower area provides additional maneuvering space.

But you should consider Designing it outside the shower so that there is less possibility of the user having issues with the wet area.