• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Turning Spaces

Hyrax4978

Where in the code does it list where the turning spaces are required. I can't seem to find it to save my life. I google it and there are lists online, but none refer back to a specific code or document.

Thanks,

IBC Section 1101.2 Design
Buildings and facilities shall be designed and constructed to be accessible in accordance with this code and ICC A117.1.

A117.1 Section 304 just tells you how to do it.

Last edited:
Section 304 does not say where to use the turning spaces, just what size they are. Are they to go in every single accessible space? Found this online, but am wondering where specifically in the code one would say yes its needed or not. 2015 IBC.

"According to the ADA standards, ample turning space is not required in every accessible room or area, but is recommended in space where there is a risk of getting trapped, such as small spaces and dead-end aisles / corridors. Ample turning space is required in the following spaces (this is not an exhaustive list):

• toilet and bathing facilities
  • dressing, fitting, and locker rooms
  • transient lodging guest rooms
  • dwelling units (all rooms on an accessible route)
  • patient bedrooms
  • holding and housing cells
  • saunas and steam rooms
  • raised courtroom stations served by ramps or lifts with entry ramps
  • certain recreation spaces (amusement ride load / unload areas, fishing piers and platforms, play components, and shooting facilities)"

So do we need it at any space that is accessible and a door can close behind you? how about at a loading dock stair. One would think you would not wheel out onto the stair landing, but hypothetically you don't have the full 60" circular space to turn around out there. Ok bad example. But i assume there must be something specific in the code that say use it at XXXXX.
Thanks,

The code says you need to comply with it AND the ICC A117.1
1101.2 Design;
Buildings and facilities shall be designed and constructed to be accessible in accordance with this code and ICC A117.1.

You need to look at Both.

I would say safe design would have it everywhere that is not specifically exempted from an accessible route in the IBC...Or it will be subject to AHJ approval...

Doors typically require 60 x 60 clear floor area on both sides; therefore if you can enter, you must also be able to exit if the door closes behind you in a closet/room with only one door.. "T" turn is also allowed for turn around.

Is it an circulation pathway, specifically an accessible route? Then yes, turning spaces are required