• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Two family dwelling unit question

rktect 1

Gold Member
I had an email asking whether or not I could allow a two family dwelling unit with crawlspaces have one unit under pin the foundation so they can have a full basement.

I am not really certain this is possible or not? Can they underpin just their half of the separating crawlspace foundation?

They're going to need an Engineer for a design.

Common separation wall or two walls back to back?

It can be done, but it will be an expensive basement.

There shouldn't be any legal issues if both units are owned by the same person. If they are separately owned, it would probably be necessary to get permission from the owner of the other unit, since he owns half of the foundation under the common wall.