• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Type of controlled egress

Sifu

SAWHORSE
I have a facility that requires the use of a type of sally port for pairs of doors. It is a manufacturing facility (F1) that requires operational control over hygiene and sterility, so an occupant must enter one side, and have the door close behind them before the next door will open. The lock is magnetic, not mechanical. The power supply to the magnetic lock is interrupted in the event of sprinkler or alarm activation, and there is a push to exit button at the door. This all seems just fine to me, but I can't really place it neatly in any one of the hardware types from the IBC. Any issues I am not seeing? Occupant loads are very low, and none of the MOE's would require the use of more than one of these door configurations.

This application is called an interlock or control vestibule, and you're right - none of the IBC sections apply, so each interlock has to be approved by the AHJ (or not). We have been trying to get something specific into the model codes to help AHJs with these doors, but so far we have had no luck.

We're working on again it for the 2027 codes. In the meantime, here is an article I wrote about some things to consider: https://idighardware.com/2021/02/decoded-control-vestibules-in-a-means-of-egress-april-2021/. The proposal that was disapproved for the 2021 IBC is in this post: https://idighardware.com/2018/05/wwyd-ibc-proposal-control-vestibules-interlocks/.

I was hoping you would chime in. I think the system being proposed meets the as yet to be codified elements that you proposed. The only issue I could see is if an emergency occurred and people rushed into the sally port, but the push-to-exit button over-ride would solve that for the very few occupants if the system wasn't already deactivated by loss of power, fire alarm or sprinklers.

Sorry, I should provide the distinction you make in the article as a control vestibule, not a sally port. Thank You.

I was hoping you would chime in. I think the system being proposed meets the as yet to be codified elements that you proposed. The only issue I could see is if an emergency occurred and people rushed into the sally port, but the push-to-exit button over-ride would solve that for the very few occupants if the system wasn't already deactivated by loss of power, fire alarm or sprinklers.
Question: In Canadian Codes, F1 means "high hazard industrial," - and F1 facilities require so-called "panic hardware" on doors. Is the same required in ICC?

Question: In Canadian Codes, F1 means "high hazard industrial," - and F1 facilities require so-called "panic hardware" on doors. Is the same required in ICC?
The IBC requires panic hardware in these locations:

Swinging doors serving a Group H occupancy and swinging doors serving rooms or spaces with an occupant load of 50 or more in a Group A or E occupancy shall not be provided with a latch or lock other than panic hardware or fire exit hardware.

Group H is High Hazard, A is Assembly, and E is educational. Panic hardware is also required by the IBC for some electrical rooms and refrigeration machinery rooms.

The IBC requires panic hardware in these locations:

Swinging doors serving a Group H occupancy and swinging doors serving rooms or spaces with an occupant load of 50 or more in a Group A or E occupancy shall not be provided with a latch or lock other than panic hardware or fire exit hardware.

Group H is High Hazard, A is Assembly, and E is educational. Panic hardware is also required by the IBC for some electrical rooms and refrigeration machinery rooms.

So the issue of electrical operation in the OP ought to be rendered moot by the panic hardware....

This has all been codified in Canada under 3.4.6.16.(5). Here you need:
1. a fire alarm
2. locks release on activation of the fire alarm
3. a manual release switch beside the door that causes the locks to release in no more than 15 seconds (and a sign saying it releases in 15 seconds)

There are a bunch of other requirements based on design criteria, but these are the basic requirements.

From what it sounds like, this has all been provided.