• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Underground Electrical Repair

Somebody is just going to love fishing through that smurf tube, even though the sections are short.

362.12 ENT not for direct earth burial.

Table 300.5 Minimum cover requirements only has columns for:
1. Encasement or other approved raceways for Direct Burial Cables or Conductors
2. Rigid Metal Conduit or Intermediate Metal Conduit
3. Nonmetallic Raceways Listed for Direct Burial Without Concrete
4. Residential Branch Circuits........
5. Irrigation and Landscape lighting.....

If the ENT is not for residential (#4) or for #5 what column would it be under?

Is this inside or outside?
Remove the zip-ties, raceways should be straight? Then support it so it doesn't sag. (390.9)
One conduit is supported by plumbing pipe and a zip tie, you gonna allow that?

I like multiple choice quizzes.

So they were told this is going to have to be completely encased in concrete since ENT is not allowed to be in direct burial but is OK for concrete encasement which we see all the time. No one cares about what they are strapped to since this is going to be concrete encased along with the plumbing.

I bet they fill the hole with dirt up to the conduit, and pour concrete over that. Technically the flex is then not completely encased in concrete ... the bottom is against dirt.

I bet they fill the hole with dirt up to the conduit, and pour concrete over that. Technically the flex is then not completely encased in concrete ... the bottom is against dirt.
They added a pin piling there for a reason. That has to be all concrete and there will be a pre-pour inspection.