• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Underground garage access ramp

Rodrigo Rocha

In Miami, is it necessary to have an access ramp to an underground garage or can access only by a elevator?
If necessary, what is the minimum slope of this ramp?

Thanks

My question is: I am designing a building in Miami, will it have an underground parking, is it mandatory to have a car ramp or can I just have a car lift?

Oh for the vehicles themselves.

I think lifts are allowable by code, Call Miami building dept and ask. So you get it straight from them.

What happens if the power goes out? Is there an emergency phone that the driver can access? Or is the elevator cab so narrow that the driver cant get out of the vehicle. Lots of personal experience with poor or no cell phone signal in an elevator ... hate to be stuck in my car with no communication. And ... in hot humid miami summer ... with the motor and a/c working, filling the vehicle with carbon monoxide.

What happens if the power goes out? Is there an emergency phone that the driver can access? Or is the elevator cab so narrow that the driver cant get out of the vehicle. Lots of personal experience with poor or no cell phone signal in an elevator ... hate to be stuck in my car with no communication. And ... in hot humid miami summer ... with the motor and a/c working, filling the vehicle with carbon monoxide.

never done one of these, but I think an attendant parks it

and in the old/ new days the attendant had a single person hoist/ elevator to get up and down.

as far as power outage, hum

I retract the power outage issue if the vehicle is not occupied during transit. But even if the transit is only done by an attendant ... power and communication need to be considered.

1011.16 Ladders. Permanent ladders shall not serve as a part
of the means of egress from occupied spaces within a building.
Permanent ladders shall be permitted to provide access to
the following areas:
1. Spaces frequented only by personnel for maintenance,
repair or monitoring of equipment.
2. Nonoccupiable spaces accessed only by catwalks,
crawl spaces, freight elevators or very narrow passageways.

3. Raised areas used primarily for purposes of security,
life safety or fire safety including, but not limited to,
observation galleries, prison guard towers, fire towers
or lifeguard stands.
4. Elevated levels in Group U not open to the general public.
5. Nonoccupied roofs that are not required to have stairway
access in accordance with Section 1011.12.1.
6. Ladders shall be constructed in accordance with Section
306.5 of the International Mechanical Code.