• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Valuation

Sifu

SAWHORSE
For those who get into valuation:
Using the valuation tables for new construction, in a mixed use building do you use the different values for the different occupancy classifications and add them up, or use a prevailing use and only use that figure for the entire building?

Depends on what they submitted as their valuation. If they submit a number that seems reasonable then I will do a rough calculation to confirm, usually based on the largest occupancy. If they submit a valuation that seems low then I will do a full calculation on each area, then add them up.

In a truly mixed-use building, we look at the individual spaces. Having said that, they usually come in as core and shells, with T.I.'s following, so it makes it easier.

In the cases of multi-family, hotels, we go with the main use, as the other spaces are ancillary to the main use. This is also how we assess development impact fees.

Are you talking about valuation for permit fees? Recently Montgomery county Md (DC suburb) is requiring a copy of the proposal from the GC.

This is a new building, for a single tenant with just about equal parts B, M, and S1. I ran the numbers every way, their stated valuation was reasonably close to the highest number I came up with, and quite a bit higher than the lowest. I left it alone. They have to be way off before I poke that bear. I am not usually involved with fees, but one AHJ insists the plans examiners set them....after the plan review. Interestingly, there are several code change proposals for the 24 codes concerning fees.

If the permit cost is based on the valuation, the jurisdiction is creating liars.

i know this from experience with laughable valuations.