• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Valve/Switch Combo for Water Heater

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Is anyone aware of a product that cuts off the cold water supply and electric to a water heater all in the same mechanism? I was told there was a product that detects a discharge from the TPR and then instantly cuts off the supply to the water and electric to the heating elements. Does this even exist?

Is anyone aware of a product that cuts off the cold water supply and electric to a water heater all in the same mechanism? I was told there was a product that detects a discharge from the TPR and then instantly cuts off the supply to the water and electric to the heating elements. Does this even exist?

Are you referring to a WAG valve by chance?

The WAGS Valve is a brand name product designed to eliminate the risk of and damage caused by flooding when a hot water heater fails to drain properly. Some statistics suggest that a majority of water heaters fail within 7-10 years. While that number seems high in our personal experience, statistically about 5 million tank failures occur every year. Not all of these are catastrophic, but during these leaks, the water heater keeps refilling and leaking, creating a cycle of damage that can go on for a considerable amount of time before it is discovered or remedied. The WAGS valve works to prevent costly floods and damage to property.

they are pricey but worth the money

Hum

I have heard of water shut off

Did not think about the fuel / electric

As the saying goes, somewhat, with the right amount of money, almost anything is possible