• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Vegeation as pool enclosure

TheCommish

What is the groups opinion as to thick vegetation being acceptable as enclosure for an in ground pool?

2009 IRC reference and commentary doe not say anything about vegetation, the vegetation meets the technical requires of appendix G section AG105

That's a tough call to make. I have seen bushes that were too thick to get through....with a fence in the middle. Next comes the question, does the vegetation create way for a kid to climb over the fence.

I made it over a 6' fence when I was five because there were trees next to the fence.

As long as the vegetation is alive and thriving there may be an effective barrier. If it dies there might not. We have a particular ordinance that specifies what is an acceptable barrier and how to build it. Plants are not an option.

I think it could....and with that there is some liability...but every barrier needs some maintainence to stay up to code...if it is 4' and unclimbable and there is no way to push through, I would entertain that discussion...

I wouldn't buy it.......I would as ICE suggested, fence in the middle of the vegetation.

= [ ] =

Commish,

What is your definition of the "thick vegetation" in your application ?

[ RE: Section AG105.2, # 7, `09 IRC, ...max opening dimension of 1 3/4" ].

= [ ] =

G105.2. Openings in the barrier shall not allow passage of a 4-inch-diameter (102 mm) sphere.

That would have to be one dense hedge - but I suppose it is possible...

Caution legally where it could be shown the intent of such plants to cause harm, injuries or entrapment; whereas an artificial barrier would not otherwise have the owner liable.

Francis Vineyard said:
Caution legally where it could be shown the intent of such plants to cause harm, injuries or entrapment; whereas an artificial barrier would not otherwise have the owner liable.
Venus Child Trap

Francis Vineyard said:
Thorn bushes bad...consertina wire good?

I believe the attractive nuisance would be the pool, not the thornhedgebarrier.....even though the thornhedgebarrier may be more attractive than a fence....the intent of the thornhedgebarrier would be to deter, not harm....But do you cross breed it with lillys so that the barrier automatically closes and latches?

Kidding aside; I don't know if Paul's suggestion was in jest but would you allow an equivalent to be barb wire fence though I can't find where the code would prohibit such. The gentleman from Mass. has not revealed the specific type of plants however and without getting into too much detail I could consider on a case by case basis a code modification for example of bamboo.

I suggest consult an attorney when it comes to children (under 18) trespassing on ones property; it's not necessary to have a "shining object" to consider something an attractive nuisance.

http://www.malawforum.com/content/attractive-nuisance-and-injury-minors-ma

ICE said:
Venus Child Trap
Now I'm kidding . . .

fire fly catcher

I suppose an AHJ could OK a hedge but he will not find language specifically authorizing it in the code. (at least not in Florida). The code defines a barrier as a "wall" or "fence" with further specifications.

Best argument and position yet....

gfretwell said:
I suppose an AHJ could OK a hedge but he will not find language specifically authorizing it in the code. (at least not in Florida). The code defines a barrier as a "wall" or "fence" with further specifications.

How about permits? One to cover the vegetation's yearly growth and a second one to allow it to be trimmed?

BARRIER. A fence, wall, building wall or combination thereof which completely surrounds the swimming pool and obstructs access to the swimming pool.

Definitions in pool appendix.....Never looked there before....We were always taught it was just a 4' "unclimbable" object.....

The OP asks opinions about the use of vegetation instead of a fence or wall. The code permits alternative designs; search the internet "natural barriers pools" or similar key words and can find results where the code has been amended or where the AHJ accepts vegetation for a barrier;

"A. Fence Required. In order to obstruct access thereto by persons other than the owners or occupants of the premises on which a swimming pool is located, every swimming pool shall be enclosed by a natural barrier, retaining wall, fence or other structure having a minimum height of five feet measured from the exterior grade of said barrier"

"The building official may grant an exception to the above barrier requirements when it is determined that there is a natural barrier existing on the premises in the form of thorny/spiny vegetation, landscaping, or topography which prevents access to the pool area."

steveray said:
BARRIER. A fence, wall, building wall or combination thereof which completely surrounds the swimming pool and obstructs access to the swimming pool. Definitions in pool appendix.....Never looked there before....We were always taught it was just a 4' "unclimbable" object.....
If you adopt that appendix, but good to know it is there......fallback........