• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Vehicle impact bollards?

mtlogcabin

SAWHORSE
Gas meters located on the side of building. Property next door is a refueling island for large trucks. There is a 6" curb and 10 feet between the vehicle lane and the gas meters. The owner of the building has been given notice by an insurance inspector to install vehicle impact bollards to protect the 3 gas meters.

Now I believe it is a good idea in this situation but I cannot find anything in the I-Codes that would have required them 4 years ago (06 codes) when the building was built.

Does NFPA have any regulations with regards to gas meters or piping located 10 ft from a driving lane?

The powers to be want to know why we did not require them at time of construction.

Have the insurance inspector provide the standard that requires the installation.

NFPA 54, Section 5.7.2.2 states: "Gas meters shall not be placed where they

will be subjected to damage, such as adjacent to a driveway, under a fire

escape, in public passages, halls, or coal bins, or where they will be subject

to excessive corrosion or vibration."

Also, NFPA only requires 4" dia. bollards, and they won't prevent impact

damage by large trucks.

NFPA 54 is not a referenced standard in the IBC. Where I am, gas meter protection is the responsibility of the gas utility supplier. The Fuel Gas Code says that meters used by the serving gas supplier are outside the scope of that code. Even though a good idea to protect, not your responsibility.

Section 312 of the IFC

EDIT- tell you how to, still looking for something that tells you when to proptect it.

Edit- Could fall back on 404.7 "piping installed above ground........shall be securley supported and located where it will be protected from physical damage."

Last edited by a moderator:
globe trekker said:
NFPA 54, Section 5.7.2.2 states: "Gas meters shall not be placed where they

will be subjected to damage, such as adjacent to a driveway, under a fire

escape, in public passages, halls, or coal bins, or where they will be subject

to excessive corrosion or vibration."
You can't put a gas meter next to a coal bin??? Thats just crazy talk.

From the 2006 IBC, Section 101.2 Scope.

The provisions of this code shall apply to the construction, alteration, movement,

enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location,

maintenance, removal and demolition of every building or structure or any

appurtenances connected or attached to such buildings or structures.

Exception: Detached one- and two-family dwellings and multiple single-family

dwellings (townhouses) not more than three stories above grade plane in height

with a separate means of egress and their accessory structures shall comply

with the International Residential Code.

IMO, by using the "most restrictive" application, the location & protection

of any gas meters should be discussed and agreed upon before they are

installed.

mtlogcabin,

Was this drive thru fueling station built after your meters were already set?

Was this drive thru fueling station built after your meters were already set?
No it has been there for about 30 years

NFPA 54 is not a referenced standard in the IBC
That is probably my answer to the powers to be. I have a call into the gas company about their policy and requirements for bollards at meter locations. Being Friday and right in the middle of our 2 weeks of summer I don't think I will hear back from anyone until Monday.

chris kennedy said:
You can't put a gas meter next to a coal bin??? Thats just crazy talk.
In years past homes that where served by coal/ coal chutes that dumped into basements led to meter readers trying to decipher the numbers on the meter when it was located in the same area and full of coal. I would think the chances of using multiple fuel, short of electric and gas is not to prevalent any more.

As fatboy/high desert said, you can use the IFGC (or any other configuration of those letters) protection from physical damage statement, but it is a stretch, and depending on the AHJ interpretation, could go either way. I typically use a phrase that states it is strongly recommended to use bollards as a minimum means of protection against physical damage (especially vehicular).

Actually I said you couldn't use the IFGC. It specifically says the gas supplier meters are outside the scope of the code.

What you could do is tell the gas company they can't install an unprotected gas meter on private property that may be a hazard to the building it is serving. I think you may have some teeth in that. In fact, I did that before and they did install protective bollards.

globe trekker said:
Have the insurance inspector provide the standard that requires the installation.
We make recommendations, if you do not do as we say we charge you more $$:inspctr

Bollards is a very common recommendation for us to make and most times we get them put in with little push back.

My boss requires it, not sure if he uses a code section

Not in the office this week

As far as the insurance company requiring it they just might not need a code section

More because I said so or pay more premiums

If it is not in the code than tell the city that

Agree with HD.....it is a stretch to use protection from physical damage.....and I don't know where it is required in our code...we let the gas CO know and see if they want to require it.....

mtlogcabin,

Which was installed first, the building or the gas meters? If the building was

built first, that might have been an oversight during plan review, ..that the

meters would be located where the gas piping exited the building.

Just sayin'

Vague and not well written ---- and not in chapter 3 of the IFC -

603.9 Gas meters. Above-ground gas meters, regulators and piping subject to damage shall be protected by a barrier complying

with Section 312 or otherwise protected in an approved manner.

When subject to damage? what is your opinion?

I would think the 6" curb and ten feet of property would be sufficient, vehicular traffic in that area would not be a normal occurance.

If it where mounted on the side of the building with open driving area I could see the requirement.

Gregg Harris said:
I would think the 6" curb and ten feet of property would be sufficient, vehicular traffic in that area would not be a normal occurance.If it where mounted on the side of the building with open driving area I could see the requirement.
Well this is what 6" curb and a five foot sidewalk got you......... I think perhaps the front of the car is more than 10 feet from the curbline.....

CARCRASHSTORE.jpg

You can't stop stupid!......A 4" gas main would be allowed inside the building in the picture you show, and then what? It takes a decent effort to get a car over a 6" curb and 10' in.....I believe the reasonable level of safety prevents minor accidents and mistakes from becoming large incidents (hopefully)......

Builder Bob said:
Well this is what 6" curb and a five foot sidewalk got you......... I think perhaps the front of the car is more than 10 feet from the curbline.....
CARCRASHSTORE.jpg

You are right steveray, you can't prevent stupid. Should we stop and install bollards around every electric pole on a highway or main street because someone might run into it. I have seen cars land on top of two story houses. There was a post here not long ago where the care drove into the house and ended up in the basement. Do we stop building homes or cars?

"Do we stop building homes or cars?"

Don't give the greenies any more ideas!

603.9 can probably lead to more arguments than it will resolve. What is "subject to damage", and how is something "otherwise protected in an approved manner"?