• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Visual Displays for Mass Notification in Schools

ADAguy

702 Fire Alarm Systems
702.1 General. Fire alarm systems shall have permanently installed audible and visible alarms complying with NFPA 72 (1999 or 2002 edition)

Does the requirement for provision of visible alarms translate into a requirement for provision of visual mass notification devices for those with hearing disablities who may be in classrooms after hours?

702 Fire Alarm Systems
702.1 General. Fire alarm systems shall have permanently installed audible and visible alarms complying with NFPA 72 (1999 or 2002 edition)

Does the requirement for provision of visible alarms translate into a requirement for provision of visual mass notification devices for those with hearing disablities who may be in classrooms after hours?

Which book and edition did the 702

Come from??

Ok ADA 702

Does the requirement for provision of visible alarms translate into a requirement for provision of visual mass notification devices for those with hearing disabilities who may be in classrooms after hours?

So most fire alarm systems do not care what time of day or night it is.

I would say the system has to meet NFPA 72 for audible and visual.

Majority of the time there will be a visual device installed in a classroom.

If not and there is a person with a disability, than should be retrofitted.

Am I missing something in the question?

Apparently this must be a reasonable accommodation request as opposed to a barrier removal or new construction requirement.

Interesting point Paul, must those be on a seperate system or may they share the FA PA?
Mass notification is not discussed on ADASAD as it didn't exist.
Given that it is a form of communication then it should be accessible, no?

Interesting point Paul, must those be on a seperate system or may they share the FA PA?
Mass notification is not discussed on ADASAD as it didn't exist.
Given that it is a form of communication then it should be accessible, no?

The latest ones are just voice evac, part
Of the fire alarm system

And not seen one

Where if you just talk on the microphone, there is no visual indication in the building.

Now maybe the newest NFPA 72 requires it or it is coming???

One of our colleges wanted visual notification of non-fire emergencies such as tornado, shooter, etc., so they put colored strobes next to the fire alarm strobes. In a fire you need to evacuate the building, but in many other emergencies sheltering in place is safer.

I believe NFPA 72 allows the fire alarm system to send non-fire emergency messages. I don't know whether it allows multiple strobe channels, or if the college had to use another controller for mass notification.

I keep asking myself, "how did Helen Keller find her way around?" maybe she had a service animal?