• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Volunteer opportunities

Adamsymonette

Hey everyone,

It's Adam again I just passed my Florida Firesafety Inspector states, thank you guys for all the advice!! Now I have another question maybe you guys can help with? I would like to get some experience and get my feet wet, anyone know what I can do to maybe volunteer?

Thanks,

Adam

Go see about doing some ride alongs with various jurisdictions, from volunteer to as big as you can..........OJT is incedibly valuable. Good Luck!

fatboy said:
Go see about doing some ride alongs with various jurisdictions, from volunteer to as big as you can..........OJT is incedibly valuable. Good Luck!
Awesome thank you, do you have any advice on how I should inquire of this opportunity?

cda has it, research what local resources serve the fire inspection function, go up and knock on the door and say you want to do some ride along training, they should love it, if you get a engine rider that doesn't understand, ask to talk to the Chief.

Harder to tell you no to your face

Are you going to apply for jobs ???

cda said:
Harder to tell you no to your faceAre you going to apply for jobs ???
Yes I am, but that's why I was wondering about volunteering because a lot of them want 1-2 years of experience at least.

Age old problem they want experience but where do you get it??

I always tell people apply no matter what the qualifications

Are you a firefighter now ???

No not yet because I wanted to get my foot in the door and I saw this as an opportunity, my dad has been a firefighter for over 25 years and said this would be a great way to get your foot in the door.

Well you need to check, but seems like dad should have advised you

Some fire depts you have to be a firefighter first and they move you to prevention

Other departments will hire you off the street to prevention

You need to check each department and apply everywhere!!!

Also like stated before check hospitals and colleges and the state , including state health dept

cda said:
Well you need to check, but seems like dad should have advised youSome fire depts you have to be a firefighter first and they move you to prevention

Other departments will hire you off the street to prevention

You need to check each department and apply everywhere!!!

Also like stated before check hospitals and colleges and the state , including state health dept[/quote

Awesome thanks for the advice!! So are you a firefighter? If so how long? I do know in order to be a marshal I do need to do firefighting school, but out where I live it's hard to get hired so I just wanted to get my foot in then go back to school, however if I don't hear anything I will proceed with EMT schooling next.