• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Wall Bracing Question

tina1510

Hello everyone,
Below is the plan that I drew for my addition. I have just received the comment from the plan reviewer that I need to show compliance with IRC 2015 Section R602.10 "Wall Bracing".
I was hoping to get some inputs from everyone on this issue as I am not totally familiar with this part of the code.
I would really appreciate your help.
Thanks,
Tina

# ~ #

tina1510,

Welcome to The Building Code Forum ! :)

Your plans should include some visual details and language as
how you plan to add wind bracing, as is required by Section R602.10
[ i.e. - sizes of the wall sheathing & fastener pattern, with the specific
types of nails or staples being used, etc. ]

# ~ #

# ~ #

tina1510,

Welcome to The Building Code Forum ! :)

Your plans should include some visual details and language as
how you plan to add wind bracing, as is required by Section R602.10
[ i.e. - sizes of the wall sheathing & fastener pattern, with the specific
types of nails or staples being used, etc. ]

# ~ #
Hi, thank you.
Could you please elaborate as this is my first time drawing the plan? I enjoy doing this for my house but did not anticipate such comment.
I thought the issue was the distance between my garage door is too narrow? From what I've got from Section R602.10, I am planning to show WSP method but I am not entirely sure about the technical items as you mentioned (length, distance between panels ect.)
Much appreciated your comment.
Tina.

I think it will be very difficult for anyone to describe the wall bracing requirements in message board posts. The short answer is that the small sections of wall around your garage doors do very little to resist wind/seismic lateral loads on the structure. Your plans need to show how the design is in compliance per north star's comment.
I'm sure there are some resources you can google to learn how it works but I suggest you hire an engineer. Even if you hired an architect, they would go to an engineer for this part of the design.

"garage portal frame" will get you a lot on Google. If this is your design and you are having it built by a contractor, the contractor may be able to help you.
I have not been able to find a contractor yet. I have been looking at a lot of resources on Google and "Garage portal frame" comes up lots of time.
I guess my question is would this issued be resolved if I have 2 garage doors instead of 3 and using CS-WSP method? I am thinking maybe by doing so, I could have gain more space/length for the bracing panels.
Please excuse my limited knowledge on this subject as I have just learned about it for a couple of hours.
Thanks,
Tina

Simpson StrongTie has a great calculator on their website for amount of bracing and then you may just need to show where it is...Our former area rep from them does that now as a business. If you can send him your plans, he may do it for a few hundred dollars...Not sure what your wins and seismic are.....The only thing that might be complicated is the garage door wall....

Simpson StrongTie has a great calculator on their website for amount of bracing and then you may just need to show where it is...Our former area rep from them does that now as a business. If you can send him your plans, he may do it for a few hundred dollars...Not sure what your wins and seismic are.....The only thing that might be complicated is the garage door wall....
Thank you for your comment.
Simpson Strongtie is very helpful. I received the result that 8'-0" length of wall bracing is required which I do not think I have enough... one more reason to eliminate 1 garage door I guess.

( = = = )

tina1510,

I concur with
** redeyedfly ** in that a fully licensed & certified structural engineer
in your area should be consulted with first..........See what they offer as far as: providing
you with a fully compliant design for your planned addition, ...a written guarantee
that their design WILL pass the plans review process and that you or your contractor
will receive a bldg. permit, ...a fully legible copy of paper plans; as well as, an electronic
copy........Also, if you do not have a good understanding of what is being discussed,
the structural engineer may want to charge you for their consultation time, much
like attorneys do.

Q1): Have you looked at Table R602.10.4 ?..........It has some visual illustrations of some
of the bracing methods.

The wall sections between your garage doors are not the only consideration.........The
whole addition perimeter, and the wall openings will need to be addressed in the wall
bracing design.

( = = = )

Last edited:
( = = = )

tina1510,

I concur with
** redeyedfly ** in that a fully licensed & certified structural engineer
in your area should be consulted with first..........See what they offer as far as: providing
you with a fully compliant design for your planned addition, ...a written guarantee
that their design WILL pass the plans review process and that you or your contractor
will receive a bldg. permit, ...a fully legible copy of paper plans; as well as, an electronic
copy........Also, if you do not have a good understanding of what is being discussed,
the structural engineer may want to charge you for their consultation time, much
like attorneys do.

Q1): Have you looked at Table R602.10.4 ?..........It has some visual illustrations of some
of the bracing methods.

The wall sections between your garage doors are not the only consideration.........The
whole addition perimeter, and the wall openings will need to be addressed in the wall
bracing design.

( = = = )
Thank you for your comment,
I am looking at this project as an opportunity for me to learn more about building construction so I wouldn't want to hire an engineer at first. I was hoping to get some inputs from everyone so I can dig deeper and have a better understanding about this matter.
I have looked at table R602.10.4 and some drawings. It seems like CS-WSP method is the most appropriate for me. I was able to determine that I need 8'-0" length of bracing wall which I do not have enough currently.
Do you see any other concerns with the perimeter?
Please advise,
Thanks,
Tina

Last edited by a moderator:
Section 602.10 can be complicated and difficult to understand, even though it was expanded several cycles ago from 3 pages to 28 and broke it down into more digestible sections. Most code inspectors need a class on wall bracing just to get a grasp on section 602.10 so it may be more difficult for you to get a solid answer here, especially since your drawing is so basic and lacks the details needed to show compliance.

For a design such as this where there are many factors at play, it is best that you hire a licensed architect or engineer familiar with wall bracing so they can draw a compliant design. The design is a blueprint to how the structure is built, right now to how far headers extend beyond and opening. Wall bracing is a bit more complicated but always a great subject for everyone to refresh their knowledge. Thank you for posting your situation and bringing this forward for discussion.

Thank you for your comment,
I am looking at this project as an opportunity for me to learn more about building construction so I wouldn't want to hire an engineer at first. I was hoping to get some inputs from everyone so I can dig deeper and have a better understanding about this matter.
I have looked at table R602.10.4 and some drawings. It seems like CS-WSP method is the most appropriate for me. I was able to determine that I need 8'-0" length of bracing wall which I do not have enough currently.
Do you see any other concerns with the perimeter?
Please advise,
Thanks,
Tina
You will learn a lot working with a structural engineer. They may charge you time for walking you through their analysis but most engineers love to talk about what they do and how their design works. They just don't like to talk about anything else. :D
it shouldn't be more than a couple thousand dollars to provide a complete structural design for your addition.

Also see this thread -

And consider watching the video(s) in the linked post.

Thank you all for all the information. I am a bit overwhelmed. This is my first project and I am really tight on the budget so I decided not to hire an engineer.
If you can get a 4' BWP every 20'...it is not that hard.....At least not where I live....Certainly not on a single story addition....
Would CS-WSP method work for me if I eliminated one of the garage door?

( # # # )

**steveray **, in her submitted floor plan, the difficult areas
appear to be the wall sections between each garage door
opening, and possibly the interior wall at the front of each
garage bay.

At least for this `ol warhorse, ...the wall bracing section of
the IRC was complicated for me to understand, and I even took
"in person" classes with Simpson-Strongtie.

"Ay Carumba !"

( # # # )

lots of help but I believe two 4' sections - you have one so changing overhead door sizes/spacing/number would probably get you another section. That's the easiest in my mind. Everything else costs more and is more finicky. But I'm not a registered design professional, just engineering classes in grad school in 70s, 40+ years in design and construction, and 35 years active in code development - but mostly an overreaching diyer who has built a lot of additions and small structures.

In my opinion, the solves the wall bracing issue, with room to spare.

In the midst of building a detached garage myself, planing it for nearly a year, in and around foundation trenchs last two days, you might want 8' wide doors, and wider if a pick up is possibly in you future. An I often cartop a canoe, so happy to have 8' tall.

I'd also consider centering double door to storage between cars, though it has the disadvantage of not a straight shot from overhead door.

In my opinion, the solves the wall bracing issue, with room to spare.

In the midst of building a detached garage myself, planing it for nearly a year, in and around foundation trenchs last two days, you might want 8' wide doors, and wider if a pick up is possibly in you future. An I often cartop a canoe, so happy to have 8' tall.

I'd also consider centering double door to storage between cars, though it has the disadvantage of not a straight shot from overhead door.
Thank you for your response. I am glad this solves the wall bracing issue.
The garage doors I am showing is 9'-0" wide and 8'-0" tall. I hope this would be sufficient.

( # # # )

tina1510,

The recommended wall bracing and the increased
dimensions of the wall sections between each garage bay
"may or may not" solve the wall bracing requirements.
Have you composed a list of the types & sizes of nails or
staples and their fastening pattern, so that you can
provide this info to the AHJ ?

Also, regarding the 9 ft. wide by 8 ft. tall garage bay
openings, from personal experience, ...are you sure
about these dimensions ?.......
.REASON: The vehicles
of today & tomorrow are getting larger and larger.
If this house were to ever be sold, "some" may be
willing to pay more for the larger sized openings.
Today's engineered lumber products will allow for
enhanced features to the built structure, while
complying with the structural & wind loading
requirements........ Just sayin'...

( # # # )

( # # # )

tina1510,

The recommended wall bracing and the increased
dimensions of the wall sections between each garage bay
"may or may not" solve the wall bracing requirements.
Have you composed a list of the types & sizes of nails or
staples and their fastening pattern, so that you can
provide this info to the AHJ ?

Also, regarding the 9 ft. wide by 8 ft. tall garage bay
openings, from personal experience, ...are you sure
about these dimensions ?.......
.REASON: The vehicles
of today & tomorrow are getting larger and larger.
If this house were to ever be sold, "some" may be
willing to pay more for the larger sized openings.
Today's engineered lumber products will allow for
enhanced features to the built structure, while
complying with the structural & wind loading
requirements........ Just sayin'...

( # # # )
North star,
First of all, please excuse my limited knowledge. What is “AHJ”?
And I have not composed a list as you mentioned. My previous thought was that the contractor is responsible for construction means and methods. But to be sure, do you think I should put a general note like “contractor to comply with wall bracing required methods per IRC”?
Secondly, you made a very good point regards the garage doors. I have just purchased the house and am not planning to selll it. I hope my future husband will not have big vehicles.