• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Wall Bracing Revisited

No this is not ok! Portal framing is not done correctly. Can't see nail pattern on plywood or how it is fasten to the block. The guy picking his nose must be in charge!

Who put that cabinet smack in the middle of the driveway, and/or who picked that spot for the garage? I'm much more worried about that than I am the framing. :eek:

Some hurricane clips and a couple anchor bolts and that garage will stand there forever - much longer than it'll be before someone runs in to that cabinet.

So maybe I'm missing something here and you all can educate me-

99.9% of buildings in my jurisdiction are built with this continuous sheathing method. So according to (2015) R602.10.6.4, and the Table and Figure that go with it, all this guy needs to do is add clips at the trusses, header-to-jack stud straps, and anchor bolts at the sill plate, and then as long as he uses enough nails in the sheathing then it meets the code. Is that not correct?

Does not meet the prescriptive provisions of the IRC.
We can start with the header termination relative to the framing cavity...
The prescriptive narrow panels require the header to continue to the last full height stud in order to lock the header to the framing cavity and add rigidity to the assembly.
Beyond that would need close up shots of the remaining details of construction to determine whatever else fails to meet prescriptive compliance.
An RDP will need to provide alternatives in accordance with accepted engineering practice (probably a bit more than a few hurricane clips and ceiling sheathing...)

Does not meet the prescriptive provisions of the IRC.
We can start with the header termination relative to the framing cavity...
The prescriptive narrow panels require the header to continue to the last full height stud in order to lock the header to the framing cavity and add rigidity to the assembly.
Beyond that would need close up shots of the remaining details of construction to determine whatever else fails to meet prescriptive compliance.
An RDP will need to provide alternatives in accordance with accepted engineering practice (probably a bit more than a few hurricane clips and ceiling sheathing...)
Header attachment, bearing.....