• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Wall construction from 80's

DStydo

Hi guys/gals,

I'm not an inspector, just a homeowner. The house I live in was built in mid 1980's North Carolina and has an interesting wall design that I'm not familiar with where the sheathing is set flush with the rim, mud and exterior brickwork. With the exterior sheathing not tied to the rim or mudsill, is this a code issue? I am about due for siding replacement and plan to have the "sheathing" (1/2" blackboard) be replaced with (1/2" plywood) but still not tied to the rim or mudsill. What else would need to be done to the wall to bring it up to code? I got my hands on the original plans and it shows let-in bracing on the walls.

thanks for any info

Drew

Hi,

Thanks for the info. We are in the central part of the state. The house has a basement with block wall construction. No cripple wall. I'll check out that link!

thanks,
Drew

Hi all, don't hesitate to speak up :)

Someone on another forum mentioned the need to possibly strap the wall?

thanks,

Drew

If you are building to the prescriptive code there is not anything that says the sheathing needs to be tied to the sill....The fastener schedules do have provisions for nailing the wall plates down....Good practice might have you tying plywood across wall/ floor joints and might avoid metal connectors.