• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Wanting to build a large pirate ship replica for an escape game.

Michael93

So I've already made multiple escape games in the past and manage to meet all the normal code requirements for stairs, doors, hallways etc... But for our next project we are wanting to make a big pirate ship game. It would be a large freestanding "ship" that's inside a large room. We want the ship to look as realistic and proportional possible, but as you probably know, most ships do not meet standard building codes. They have steeper steps/ladders, lower ceilings, slanted floors, and smaller doors. Sprinkler heads are also a potential issue, as it would be very tricky to route sprinkler pipes into the ship.

So long story short, my main question is if it's possible to have a free standing "playground" type structure that does no meet normal code, as long as it's inside a large room that DOES meet code with exit signs, sprinkler heads etc...

Sounds like a fun time....but I don't believe that you will be able to make it work via conventional methods.

easy answer NO

You do not say what you want to make it out of
Metal or wood or both

If you find a great fire sprinkler company, there are ways to route/ hide pipe and sprinklers
Plus include them in the overall design, it can help with the pipe routing

I would utilize Section 411, Special Amusement Buildings (2018 IBC).
I think that this comes to the root of the issue. As noted in the OP, the poster's concern is the means of egress pathway containing features not permitted (ships ladders) and fire sprinklers. Per IBC-2018 411.3, sprinklers can only be exempted if building is less than 1,000sf and exit access travel is sub 50-ft. I sincerely doubt that this works with the poster's desires.

[F] 411.3 Automatic sprinkler system
Special amusement buildings shall be equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1. Where the special amusement building is temporary, the sprinkler water supply shall be of an approved temporary means.
Exception: Automatic sprinklers are not required where the total floor area of a temporary special amusement building is less than 1,000 square feet (93 m2) and the exit access travel distance from any point to an exit is less than 50 feet (15 240 mm).​

ADA is the limiting design factor for the project. As for the safety factor you have a space that is planned to be non-inescapable for that large portion of population that exists....so BIG NO is the correct answer.

I think that this comes to the root of the issue. As noted in the OP, the poster's concern is the means of egress pathway containing features not permitted (ships ladders) and fire sprinklers. Per IBC-2018 411.3, sprinklers can only be exempted if building is less than 1,000sf and exit access travel is sub 50-ft. I sincerely doubt that this works with the poster's desires.

Special amusement buildings shall be equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1. Where the special amusement building is temporary, the sprinkler water supply shall be of an approved temporary means.
Exception: Automatic sprinklers are not required where the total floor area of a temporary special amusement building is less than 1,000 square feet (93 m2) and the exit access travel distance from any point to an exit is less than 50 feet (15 240 mm).​
I don't think you can avoid it--even Disney has integrated life-safety features into their faux "realistic" designs. Sprinkler piping can be concealed within the structure and heads can be of the concealed type. Exit markings and emergency lighting can be integrated to minimize visual impact. I don't think low ceilings, steep stairs, and ladders will be of issue. However, regarding ceiling height, the average human height has increased, so maybe the "ship" should be designed proportionally to today's average human height.

easy answer NO

You do not say what you want to make it out of
Metal or wood or both

If you find a great fire sprinkler company, there are ways to route/ hide pipe and sprinklers
Plus include them in the overall design, it can help with the pipe routing

The structure would probably be metal framing, and then a wood exterior. How structures such as indoor play areas in museums categorized? I've seen tiny holes for children to crawl through, tree houses with ladders etc... all of which don't seem to comply with building codes.

I don't think you can avoid it--even Disney has integrated life-safety features into their faux "realistic" designs. Sprinkler piping can be concealed within the structure and heads can be of the concealed type. Exit markings and emergency lighting can be integrated to minimize visual impact. I don't think low ceilings, steep stairs, and ladders will be of issue. However, regarding ceiling height, the average human height has increased, so maybe the "ship" should be designed proportionally to today's average human height.

Well the ship would essentially be a very large "prop" inside of a large room. The room already has sprinkler heads in the ceiling of the room that cover the whole area, and we would add emergency lights, exit signs etc... we are just trying to void plumbing sprinkler heads to every nook and cranny of the boat.

Hearing that the steep stairs etc... won't be an issue is the main thing I wanted to know, as that would have a major effect on the design and shape of the ship (because normal stairs take up a TON of space).

And regarding the ceiling height, we still intend on making this game comfortable for normal customers, so we will still try to keep the ceilings above 7 ft etc... but there might be some closets and small rooms etc... that would be lower.

Hire a Fire Protection Engineer or a good Building Consultant.

The money you spend will be saved through out the project and headaches

My thought process with the sprinklers is that this boat is not actually part of the building. For example, if we installed a large piece of furniture such as wardrobe, we don't have to instal a sprinkler inside the furniture even though that's technically an enclosed space. The sprinklers in the room that the furniture is in are considered enough. The room the ship would be in already has sprinkler heads.

Anyways, it's not a huge issue if we have to add sprinker heads it just very expensive. Our main concern is being able to use ladders etc...

My thought process with the sprinklers is that this boat is not actually part of the building. For example, if we installed a large piece of furniture such as wardrobe, we don't have to instal a sprinkler inside the furniture even though that's technically an enclosed space. The sprinklers in the room that the furniture is in are considered enough. The room the ship would be in already has sprinkler heads.

Anyways, it's not a huge issue if we have to add sprinker heads it just very expensive. Our main concern is being able to use ladders etc...
It's not as simple as that. The ship is occupiable space, whereas a wardrobe furniture piece is not. Under NFPA 13, closets and concealed spaces are required to be sprinklered. If sprinklers are obstructed, then additional heads are required to ensure complete coverage.

On the right track, think 'theater prop'. People should be able to pay and watch the entertainment of that large portion of population that cannot escape. Of course, being enlightened, this portion of population does not even need to make the entertaining 'futile gesture' of escape failure for the courts to recognize their civil rights have been impinged.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Obviously I will be consulting my local inspectors before we begin the project, I'm just trying to learn about the different possibilities as we plan out the game.

There are one level ships

Or

Two level long,

walk thru the rooms to the other end, have a ramp up to second level, walk back the length thru rooms, and down a ramp.

Or

If you have ever been to Hollywood

Built normal rooms, than put ship facade attached to it.

Quite sure you will not get ships ladders approved, even though it is a ship

* + * + *

Michael93,

Also, ...Welcome to the Building Codes Forum !

As **sergoodo ** has mentioned the Accessibility

Factor, how do you plan to have someone in a
wheelchair access those planned Ship's Ladders,
in [ somewhat ] dimly lit conditions ?......Pirate
Ships are dark ya know !
:D

* + * + *

It's not as simple as that. The ship is occupiable space, whereas a wardrobe furniture piece is not. Under NFPA 13, closets and concealed spaces are required to be sprinklered. If sprinklers are obstructed, then additional heads are required to ensure complete coverage.

Ron beat me to it, but this is exactly the point. Sprinklers would be required within the ship structure. Typically, any projection over 4-ft in width will require an additional sprinkler.

And as others have pointed out, the structure must also provide accessible use.

A lot of deception in Micky's world, their pretty cleaver, lot of eye foolery when looking at their buildings!

It's amazing what they can do with spraycrete!

The path to the attraction shall be accessible. The attraction might be whatever you want without considering ADA. An example is a carnival that I inspected a few weeks ago. Plenty of handicap parking. Of the dozen amusement rides not one was accessible.