• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

washer/dryer

rktect 1

Gold Member
Using the 2006 Fuel Gas code for a new addition/remodel.

I have a master bedroom about 16'x16' with a room labeled "closet" The closet is about 5.5'x5.5' with a note for 1 rod and 1 shelf on two walls. In the corner is a stacked washer/dryer. On the mech plans it is listed as a gas dryer.

Is this dryer an "appliance" as defined in the fuel gas code? Should this washer/dryer not be allowed per 303.3 for appliance location? Chapter 15 of the 2006 IRC is silent on locations that are permitted for dryers.

Any other thoughts?

I would not consider it an "appliance" per the 2006 IFGC.

Sure it creates heat, but there is no "flue gas" per se. I think the intent is to prevent CO from affecting sleeping residents. To the best of my knowledge, gas dryer CO emmision is not a concern.

mj

rktect 1,

I looked at one (stackable washer / dryer) manufacturer' web site concerning

installation procedures. They DID say that this type of appliance COULD be

installed in a closet, but that the room/space had to provide enough

combustion air & that it DID have to be vented to the exterior of the

structure in an approved manner.

FWIW, GE was the manufacturer that I looked at!

Clothes dryers and their ducting are addressed in chapter 6 (secitons 613 &614) of the IFGC. The title of the chapter is "Specific Appliances", so yes I would say the IFGC considers clothes dryers as appliances

I would also consider this an appliance. See 2006 IRC G2406.2 and G2439.4.

After further review (and working to allow it by some means) I would say it meets exception #1 - Direct vented appliance, and should be allowed in a bedroom closet.

Based on Milton's Rules, I see no reason not to allow it.

Per the letter of the Code without exceptions, it would be allowed to go in a hallway immediately outside the bedroom. I'm assuming this bedroom is not a fire rated enclosure, so let it go in the closet. Provided it is properly ducted and has adequate combustion air.

mj

mjesse said:
After further review (and working to allow it by some means) I would say it meets exception #1 - Direct vented appliance, and should be allowed in a bedroom closet.Based on Milton's Rules, I see no reason not to allow it.

Per the letter of the Code without exceptions, it would be allowed to go in a hallway immediately outside the bedroom. I'm assuming this bedroom is not a fire rated enclosure, so let it go in the closet. Provided it is properly ducted and has adequate combustion air.

mj
A typical residential gas dryer is NOT a direct vent appliance. A direct vent appliance takes all combustion air from outdoors. A dryer does not. The problem with having fuel fired appliances in a closet off a bedroom is that CO would be released directly and only into areas where people are sleeping in the event of a malfunction. With an appliance in the hall outside the bedroom, the CO would at least not be confined to the bedroom and could be diluted throughout the rest of the house. The gas dryer should not be allowed in the closet unless the closet meets the door and exterior combusiton air requirements of section 303.

In cases like this I would consider Murphy's Law as overruling Milton's Rules. There is a real simple solution--switch from a gas to electric dryer.

I believe it is an appliance and as such, the closet would need to meet the requirements of 303.3 (5).

Agree with klarenbeek, dodge the bullet, go electric.

"...but feel free to put a wood burning fireplace in the bedroom"

That is vented to the outdoors.....

mjesse said:
...but feel free to put a wood burning fireplace in the bedroom :banghd
I agree with you on that one, but code allows it so at least you're covered. We actually had that exception amended out until about 5 years ago.

IRC M1701.4 (Combustion air): prohibited sources: sleeping rooms, bathrooms, toilet rooms.