• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Water Heater Installation

jar546

Forum Coordinator
In crawlspace.

Comments.....

IMG_5431.JPG

Re: Water Heater Installation

Ok,

Providing that the crawl space is below final grade; there is no way the water heater in that crawl space can meet the requirement of 2006 IRC, P2803.6, 7..

How do ya'll enforce the following code requirement; or do you?

"P2803.6.1 Requirements for discharge pipe. The discharge

piping serving a pressure-relief valve, temperature- relief

valve or combination valve shall:

7. Discharge to a termination point that is readily observable

by the building occupants."

I'm guessing that the majority don't enforce this requirement.

Uncle Bob

UPC has similar lanquage and the state interpreted that to mean no more water heaters in a crawlspace. Been enforcing it that way since mid 2006. Will let them replace them if originally located in crawlspace.

Now if they will only do the same for mechanical equipment ;)

I know its not right be we have some change outs that are in the crawl like that, what I make them do is 90 the t&p drain up and out to the out side no closer then 6 inchs to the grade. Then they have to drill a 1/4 in hole in the heel of 90 that is in the crawl space, that acts like a vent and a drain so it will not freez if the t&p spits or opens up just a little. It works every time with no problems yet.

Justin

Then they have to drill a 1/4 in hole in the heel of 90 that is in the crawl space, that acts like a vent and a drain so it will not freez if the t&p spits or opens up just a little. It works every time with no problems yet
That would not allow the T&P drain to be readily observable by the building occupants or

9. Be installed to flow by gravity..

So why have the contractor do all that extra work?

P2502.2 Additions, alterations or repairs.

Additions, alterations, renovations or repairs to any plumbing system shall conform to that required for a new plumbing system without requiring the existing plumbing system to comply with all the requirements of this code. Additions, alterations or repairs shall not cause an existing system to become unsafe, insanitary or overloaded.

Minor additions, alterations, renovations and repairs to existing plumbing systems shall be permitted in the same manner and arrangement as in the existing system, provided that such repairs or replacement are not hazardous and are approved.

Most AHJs don't enforce this code requirement.

"7. Discharge to a termination point that is readily observable

by the building occupants."

Two places that would be "readily observable by the building occupants", would be near the front door or garage entry.

I was asked by a lady (friend) to look at a pipe that was in her garage. There was a copper pipe protruding through her ceiling above where she parked her car. Upon further investigation; I found that the T&P drain line from her water heater in the attic was terminated at that point.

Plumbing is one of the most neglected parts of the codes; as far as enforcement is conserned; and one of the most important.

Uncle Bob

UB - are you saying that the garage installation in your example would not be readily observable?

I regularly have mechanical engineers do this kind of detail in garages, over showers and sinks, or just to a planter outdoors.

Need Claification on P2803.6.1 IRC2006

5. Discharge to the floor, to an indirect waste receptor or to the outdoors.

Leads me to believe to floor is allowed along as it's 6" from the floor. YES?

10. Not terminate more than 6" above the Floor or Waste receptor.

Does this mean a waste receptor could be installed 1-2' off the floor as long as the discharge pipe remains at 6" above the waste receptor? Waste receptor can be raise off the floor. Yes?

P2803.6.1 Requirements of discharge pipe. The outlet of

a pressure relief valve, temperature relief valve or combination

thereof, shall not be directly connected to the drainage

system. The discharge from the relief valve shall be piped

full size separately to the floor, to the outside of the building

or to an indirect waste receptor located inside the building.

In areas subject to freezing, the relief valve shall discharge

through an air gap into an indirect waste receptor located

within a heated space, or by other approved means. The discharge

shall be installed in a manner that does not cause personal

injury or property damage and that is readily

observable by the building occupants. The discharge from a

relief valve shall not be trapped. The diameter of the discharge

piping shall not be less than the diameter of the relief

valve outlet. The discharge pipe shall be installed so as to

drain by gravity flow and shall terminate atmospherically

not more than 6 inches (152 mm) above the floor. The outlet

end of the discharge pipe shall not be threaded and such discharge

pipe shall not have a valve installed.

Think that means 6 inches above the floor period! That is my CT amended 2003 IRC though. Free E codes don't seem to have the info at all!

Here is my nickels worth! First of all when we say crawlspace, that picture is beautiful! I hate water heaters in the crawl and here is my angle.

1) Put a pan under the water heater which in my opinion is required because someone had the word "structural" removed from the language which now I think just says "damage" can occur.

2) If grade is not an issue then drop the relief line to the pan which is an indirect waste receptor

3) Terminate pan drain per that section. This is when you can usually get the heater out of the crawl because you cannot terminate pan drain 6"-24" above grade!! :lol:

Isn't the reason for the maximum 6" off the floor or ground because you don't want scalding hot water possibly spraying someone when the t&P goes off?

This was interesting, while researching P2803.6.1 My 2003IRC code said: The outlet end of the discharge pipe shall be threaded and such discharge pipe shall not have a valve installed.

This was changed in the 2006IRC.

Funny - my 2003 IRC says "... shall NOT be threaded"

Typo?

Mac,

Yes, it appears to be a typo.

I checked it again, pipe shall be threaded. Maybe I should sell this code book on Ebay! ;)

Seventh printing: Nov. 2004

My commentary code book sez: not be threaded

If the discharge pipe discharges to the floor.. I read it being ok IRC 2803.6.1 (granted, I'm not in my office, so I'm looking at my home version.. 2003).

If the crawl space has access from the house.. it's readily observable.. the fact that the residents choose to not readily observe it is beyond the scope of the code. Otherwise, let's write a code change that it discharges into the kitchen sink.

the fact that a crawl space is less convienent than a basement is well.. the owner's problem... not the codes.

I agree, within 6 inches of the floor is the requirement, period. Not a good installation IMHO, but that's what the code says.

The question of the year is:

Can you install a water heater in a below grade crawlspace and meet all of the code requirements?

Which would require one to determine if P2801.5 (2006) would apply, fortunatelly, I have few crawlspaces, and have never had a water heater in one.

IF, I had to make a call, I would have to say P2801.5 does apply, if there is no floor drain to sanitary sewer in the crawlspace. But, I would allow a pump system under alternate methods. JMHO

"Can you install a water heater in a below grade crawlspace and meet all of the code requirements?" No.

Most water heaters that are installed above ground level are not being required to meet the code requirements; so why would water heaters in basements and crawl spaces be any different?

The fast majority of building officials and inspectors are not, and will not enforce the water heater installation requirements of the codes.

Uncle Bob

jar546 wrote:

The question of the year is:Can you install a water heater in a below grade crawlspace and meet all of the code requirements?
Yes, a water heater is allowed, by code, to be installed in an underfloor area.

The question I would have is how you can disapprove this installation, or why you would even want to.

If installed up high how many require that permanent or fold-away stairways meet IRC311 requirements, for egress stairs? ;)

Doesn't M2005.2.1 say crawl space installation is permitted in a backhanded sort of way?

Code:
M2005.2.1 Water heater access. Access to water heaters that are located in an attic or underfloor crawl space is permitted to be through a closet located in a sleeping room or bathroom where ventilation of those spaces is in accordance with this code.

So.....if you say you can't put a water heater in a crawlspace, then you can't put one in a basement! We don't have a lot of basements around here...do you guys allow water heaters in basements? Do you allow them in crawlspaces if you allow them in basements?