• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Water Heater Replacement with Code Violations (again)

jar546

Forum Coordinator
For such a simple job, the same problem is going to repeat itself due to these 2 IPC plumbing code violations. What are the code sections that have been violated?

504.6 Requirements for discharge piping.
The discharge piping serving a pressure relief valve, temperature relief valve or combination thereof shall:
Items 6 &10

You stated it is in a garage
502.1.1 Elevation and protection.
Elevation of water heater ignition sources and mechanical damage protection requirements for water heaters shall be in accordance with the International Mechanical Code and the International Fuel Gas Code.

IGNITION SOURCE. A flame, spark or hot surface capable of igniting flammable vapors or fumes. Such sources include appliance burners, burner ignitors and electrical switching devices.

304.3 Elevation of ignition source.
Equipment and appliances having an ignition source and located in hazardous locations and public garages, private garages, repair garages, automotive motor fuel-dispensing facilities and parking garages shall be elevated such that the source of ignition is not less than 18 inches (457 mm) above the floor surface on which the equipment or appliance rests. For the purpose of this section, rooms or spaces that are not part of the living space of a dwelling unit and that communicate directly with a private garage through openings shall be considered to be part of the private garage.

What height above the garage floor are the controls that may spark?

Is cpvc piping allowed there for supply & return? Can you use plastic pipe for t&p? T&p too high off the floor.

Expansion tank shall be supported according to manufacturer's instructions, not by the piping that connects to such tanks per 308.10.

Maybe the manufacturer allows that particular installation, but I would question it.

Expansion tank shall be supported according to manufacturer's instructions, not by the piping that connects to such tanks per 308.10.

Maybe the manufacturer allows that particular installation, but I would question it.

It may be upsidedown too

Installation
1. Install the expansion tank on the cold water supply line to the water heater at a point between the water heater and backflow preventer or other one-way device (Figure 2)

WARNING!
Mount vertically in downward position only. Ensure that tank is supported properly to hold the entire weight of the tank when full of water.

Screenshot 2022-05-02 095620.png

We see expansion tanks mounted in multiple configurations. Be sure to check the manufacturer's installation instructions before writing a correction.
(Below are examples from 2 different manufacturers. )
Potable-Hot-Water-Expansion-Tank-Installation-Wattss.jpg

Attachments

• Expansion tank installations.jpg
    Expansion tank installations.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 5
I have been in contact with an expansion tank manufacturer (don't recall which one) and I was told that there is no wrong way to install the tank as long as it is supported....the pipe is considered sufficient support. As I recall there is a minimum distance away from the water heater .... but that may only apply to gas fired appliances .... or perhaps I made that up.

So how about seismic straps and a disconnect for the electrical supply.

ehilton asked about CPVC. California allows CPVC.

Oh and Jeff, a tape measure is a handy item to have when making these vignettes.

Last edited: