• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

eyan50495

Hi,

I have previously done most projects in NYC but for a NYS project I am wondering if I can get more information.

This is a Commercial Mercantile space and we have an electrical room in the basement. The client wants to relocate the water heaters int this electrical room and I am wondering where I can find information on this.

I know per NFPA a certain amperage of electrical will trigger fire ratings and IBC's incidental use table has information on fire protection/ratings for electrical equipment.

Where might I find if I can put a water heater in an electrical room? Typically we separate the rooms (electrical room, water heater room, fire pump room, etc.)

Thanks

IBC 509 considers mechanical rooms as incidental uses requiring separation when a furnace exceeds 400,000 BTUH input, or a boiler exceeds 15 psi and 10 boiler horsepower.

It's not unusual to put them in the same room in smaller buildings where the water heater is under these capacities, the electric service isn't large enough for the NEC to require a separate room, there is adequate working space at the panels per NEC, and there isn't any piping over the panels.

IBC 509 considers mechanical rooms as incidental uses requiring separation when a furnace exceeds 400,000 BTUH input, or a boiler exceeds 15 psi and 10 boiler horsepower.

It's not unusual to put them in the same room in smaller buildings where the water heater is under these capacities, the electric service isn't large enough for the NEC to require a separate room, there is adequate working space at the panels per NEC, and there isn't any piping over the panels.

Thank you for that information. That is what we assumed!

Not unusual but not always best practice, especially if the demand has the heater constantly cycling. May want to consider spray shielding it from elec. panels.