• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Website/BB Discussion with ICC - in Baltimore!!!

vegas paul

Silver Member
ATTENTION!!!

We have been invited to discuss the ICC Bulletin Board with ICC CEO and his staff in Baltimore - who's going to join me? I would like for all of us to attend and give our professional and polite suggestions/recommendations/critiques to the ICC powers that be.

Here's what they sent me after several discussions via phone...

As part of ICC’s commitment to continually improvement, we would like to hear your feedback on the new Communities of Interest. To facilitate discussion we have set aside time at our Annual Conference for interested members to tell us what changes and improvements would recommend making to the COI’s. The Communities are built on a SharePoint platform, which has incredible potential for users to define an environment that is productive for the important networking that takes place.

Please join us for an open forum at:

2009 International Code Council Annual Conference and Code Development Hearing

Code Development Hearings

Communities of Interest Forum

November 1

Baltimore Convention Center

Room: 309

Time: 9:30

Dominic Sims, CBO

Chief Operating Officer

International Code Council

500 New Jersey Ave NW

Sixth Floor

Washington, DC 20001

888-422-7233 x5267

dsims@iccsafe.org

Re: Website/BB Discussion with ICC - in Baltimore!!!

How about this: You guys screwed up big time. We all found another home and are no longer interested in the "official ICC gotta pay to play board".

I'm signed up for the fireside chat with Mr. Zubia and plan to make a comment about the untimely demise of the old BB if possible.

Good luck in Baltimore and what a great chance to buttonhole the powers that be. Thanks Paul!

Sue, who will be stuck on the frontier..........

I will not be in Baltimore when the forum is going on so I posted a comment on the discussion itself:

http://www.iccsafe.org/Communities/Acce ... ons%2Easpx

For those who may not be avle to read or link to that page, this is what I posted:

Dominic,

Since I will not be able to attend that forum, a few thoughts - some technical, some otherwise:

1. Create an option to be notified when comments are made to a discussion thread so you can check back. The alternative is to just keep spinning wheels looking every so often to see if anyone has added anything.

2. Allow staff to offer their "opinion" on topics with the disclaimer that it does not represent the "official position of the ICC. . . " so they can include information that the rest of us may not be privy to but contributes to the thread.

3. When backing out of a community, make it easier to get to another "of my favorite" communities. Right now I have to either go back to "My ICC" or else go to the main board and try to remember what other communities I've linked into.

4. Allow for notification via email when a new discussion thread is begun (like as is done with LinkedIn) to see if I may have an interest in that topic.

5. Allow for viewing of the discussions by non-members. Even if they do not have the ability to comment, at least they can see the discussion and benefit from that as well as see the type of discussion and quality of communication that can be identified as a reason for joining the organization (advertising by good example).

6. I've noted a few other technical things and sent them via email to the webmaster for distribution to the design team - things like linking the uploaded photo in my profile to the blank avatar on the discussion page).

Conceptually, the discussions are a great idea and a good forum for sharing ideas and code thoughts. Who knows, its possible that new ideas will even spring forth from one of the discussion threads.

Talked to most of the board here in Baltimore including Mr. Zubia about this. Well..... to quote a line from the movie "Grumpy Old Men" "you can wish in one hand and crap in the other. See which one gets filled-up first".

So! JP you are saying it was just a bunch of lip service!? Give ya a pat on the back and one of those ata boys and he's all better now. :roll:

I kinda get the impression that members are replaceable!

I'm home now. Thinking about the last week. Too much noise and other distractions in Baltimore to see and think clearly. Ya, it was all damage control and lip service. It was quite a show. Suites, ties, dinners, hospitality events, free boose, bright lights, loud music, and more BS than you could shovel off of a stock yard.

This was the first time attending a icc event. I have been to many of the old BOCA hearings years ago. How in the world did it turn into such a "Vegas" event? Man oh man did I feel out of place at the annual dinner.

I'm left wondering if this icc thing really was a good idea? I just don't know.............. :?: :?:

Post Script: I handed out quite a few business cards avertizing this site in Baltimore. I sure would like to know if we picked up any new members as a result?

JP:

I ditto those same sentiments. I have already informed our organization that I will stay with NFPA stuff and only work with the IRC stuff as necessary to serve our interests and hopefully not let the sprinkler interests run wild by influencing more fire service people that with sprinklers, you don’t need anything else. I was disappointed and maybe I can cool off in the woods this afternoon swaying back and forth in a tree :D

Glad you made it back safely and again, great meeting you..........be safe!

JP & FM: I ditto the responses. Before I post I am just going let some water run by my feet. They need a good cleaning for the tall piles of dung.

I too past out a few cards. Well the box you gave me! :lol: