• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Welded piping

TimNY

Platinum Member
Other than the pressure test, what are you guys requiring for inspection of welded fuel gas piping? Do you require special inspection? Continuous, just a visual after completion, or not required? The fuel gas code is kind of vague on the subject. The building code references structural steel.

I am getting the certs for the welder. I don't foresee any issues with his qualifications.

Tim

Great, thanks for the input. This is a first for me and given the vague text of the fuel gas code... I wanted to see what other inspectors have done.

The welder goes to school each year for a week to practice and learn new techniques, so I am pretty confident the welds are quality. Always nice to see a tradesman who values training.

Tim

Be "very" careful with your documentation.

Is soil in the area known to be corrosive?

Have you followed the news in Calif? A major UG gas line explosion in Northern CA was traced to weld failure.

The UG gas line explosion was for welds done in the late 1950's or early 1960's (documentation lacking). Failure was most likely due to higher pressure than system could handle. PG&E (at the time) would run higher pressure on their long distance delivery piping to get larger volumes delivered at the farther ends to meet load demands.