• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Wet Vent - Configuration A or B?

flub1dub

I am grateful for your consideration. Is configuration A or B (please see photo here) compliant with the UPC? I'm pretty sure A is but have doubts on B. If both are compliant, which would you prefer?

Thanks!

# ~ # = & = &

flub,

In Configuration A, ...it appears as though you have a "flat
vent" connection installed where the Shower drain line
connects to the Toilet drain line with a Y fitting.......The
Shower drain line should connect to the Toilet drain line
from the top or slightly "off center" from the top, but not
directly from the side [ horizontally ].

& = & ~ # ~ #

The minimum size clean-out for a 3” pipe is 2.5”.

In example A would the wye need to roll up to vent above the flow line?

Last edited:
# ~ # = & = &

flub,

In Configuration A, ...it appears as though you have a "flat
vent" connection installed where the Shower drain line
connects to the Toilet drain line with a Y fitting.......The
Shower drain line should connect to the Toilet drain line
from the top or slightly "off center" from the top, but not
directly from the side [ horizontally ].

& = & ~ # ~ #
Hi North Star,
From my interpretation of the code, a "flat vent" connection is required because it is a wet vent. This article reflects my interpretation of the code: https://www.jlconline.com/how-to/plumbing/wet-vent-rules_o. Am I missing something?
Thanks!

The minimum size clean-out for a 3” pipe is 2.5”.

In example A would the wye need to roll up to vent above the flow line?
Hi Ice,

Thanks for the note about the cleanout size. I wasn't aware of that. I think the cleanout isn't strictly required, but here's the story. The direction that the shower trap arm will actually be entering the santee is a little different than how it looks in the picture. If you were to rotate the santee about 45 degrees counterclockwise on its vertical axis, that's where it'll be. So from the trap arm to the first horizontal section of the wet vent, the horizontal drainage flow will be making about a 135 degree change in direction. I'm thinking that would be a problem for snaking from the shower trap, hence the cleanout in the santee. What do you think?

On the other hand, if I can do a combo tee-wye rolled up instead of the santee, I think I will do that. Do you think that would be better? The problem is that the combo tee-wye might make the vertical section of the wet vent longer, to the point that I might have a problem with the slope on the horizonal section.

The wye in A should vent above the flow line. I'm going to try to roll it up a little (depending on the aforementioned potential slope issue).

Thanks for your consideration!