• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What defines a swimming pool?

Inspector 102

Silver Member
There are numerous ways that jurisdictions describe swimming pools and when regulations are enforced. Many areas say a size of pool determines code compliance. Some areas say if it is a soft sided pool, then it is portable and no rules apply. How do others out there determine what is swimming pool is and when the codes address the installation?

We use the definition in Appendix G of the 2006 IRC

SWIMMING POOL. Any structure intended for swimming

or recreational bathing that contains water over 24 inches (610

mm) deep. This includes in-ground, above-ground and

on-ground swimming pools, hot tubs and spas.

CT IRC says: SWIMMING POOL. Any structure intended for swimming

or recreational bathing that contains water over 24 inches (610

mm) deep. This includes in-ground, above-ground and

on-ground swimming pools, hot tubs and spas.

Anything 2 feet deep requires a barrier, permanent wiring, and a pool alarm in this state!

Damn there goes the pasture pool or creek.

Use to laugh when I was with the county. Yes we regulated pools but on the way home about every other farmer had a low spot where water would pond and 3 strands of barb wire to keep people or animals out an unregulated.

I think one key part of the defenition is "intended for swimming or recreational bathing." That would not include fountains, decorative ponds, baptismals, etc.

GPE

What gpe said...

We have homes on the bay here....... fences are required around pools, including the seawall separating the bay and the pool. You would have to swim in the bay and climb the seawall and fence to drown in the pool!

Local 35 + year old ordinance

5-5 Definitions.

A swimming pool, within the meaning of this article, shall be any depression in the ground, either temporary or permanent, or a container of water, either temporary or permanent, and either above or below the ground in which water of more than eighteen inches (18″) in depth is contained and which is used primarily for the purpose of bathing or swimming, except temporary pools with an area of one hundred fifty (150) square feet or less shall not come within the provisions of this article. (Ord. 721 § 1)

roughly a 14 foot round pool

I kinda like MTLOG's definition.

We used to require barriers around all retention ponds on City property.. one less thing to get sued over, I guess.

One of the things I really like, MT is the 18" provision. If it's 20" deep (or capable of holding 20" of water, I could argue the 150 sf doesn't matter)... it would, however, eliminate those blow up kiddie pools (try to enforce a pool ordinance when Jack and Jill are splashing around in one.. and you're explaining to mommy she has to get a $45 permit every summer to use it... and, oh... install a fence.. and well the door alarms.

Last edited by a moderator:
IN CA

SWIMMING POOL or POOL means any structure intended for swimming or recreational bathing that contains water over 18 inches deep. Swimming pool includes in-ground and above-ground structures and includes, but is not limited to, hot tubs, spas, portable spas and non portable wading pools.

Soft Sided / Portable / Above Ground Pools

I Have been away from these forums for a while

In RI we have been past elbows in code adoptions using 7 of the 2009 Icc models see http://www.ribcc.ri.gov

Along with this thread I have recently been asked

IF soft sided pools meeting the definition if IRC appendix G ( intended to swim > 24" depth) of course are supposed to be designed to meet the ANSI/NSPI-4 standard

my research indicates that that standard is not meant to address pools with less than 36" of water

so the dilema would be that maybe some but not all of those pools could not be allowed due to having to comply with

a standard that does not adress the product? some chatter on CSPS Site and AnSI standard

Any thoughts ??

the NSPI standard is not really meant to address kiddie splash pools (they didn't think that far out)..

A pool is what the jurisdiction decides to call a pool... and yes... I've had to enforce a seasonal permit (and required a fence, because that was what the City decided), for the Wal-Mart blow up pools... and yes.. the local news media got involved (so there was a change in policy on what constituted a pool).

If I can drown in a bathtub, I can drown in a pool with <24" of water... and so can the neighbor's kid (or dog).