• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What is this accessory structure?

Based on furniture, (cooking method not shown), Sleeping, Dining, bathroom. Heat... yes?
See photo in permanent provisions for cooking post

Looks like most hotel/guest rooms
Tiny homes?
Not attached so in my jurisdiction additional 3/4" water service line and water impact fees.

I say it is what it says it is: a guest room. No provisions are shown for cooking. We would ask for more information and changed plans addressing cooking appliances, heating, ventilation, utilities, parking, zoning restrictions and addressing before we could call it an ADU or other any other type of dwelling. If the applicant insists on calling it a guest room, then we would clearly identify it as such on the permit and plans.

The image visually implies a sink and refrigerator, and does not show a graphic that looks like a cooking device (burners or oven). If this were on a single family lot, I would call it an accessory structure (such as JPohling's "pool house" recommendation), but not an (accessory) dwelling unit.

That said, it is easy for them to add a plug-in microwave or a burner coil afterwards... but bootlegging is a different issue.

where is it located on the lot in conjunction with what other dwelling or structures, you cannot have an accessory anything until you have a principle use