• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What violation is this?

Electrical is not my game... but why is a fire system (red boxes) connected to a non-fire system?

Electrical is not my game... but why is a fire system (red boxes) connected to a non-fire system?
One is an emergency circuit and one is a normal circuit and they are for controlling lighting and have to go through a relay so that when power is lost the emergency lights turn on even if the switch is in the off position. This is normal and routine for many situations. This is a school

grounding and number of conductors in FNC may be an issue / Bonding between two systems may also be an issue/ just to many questions about this installation. I have never seen this as usually the ATS will switch over to feed the emergency circuits (red box) from the emergency circuit panel box. This eliminates the need for redundant wiring and fail safe systems as depicted.

Still a little confused, I thought the ATS took care of switching power sources upon permanent power source failure, not sure I have ever seen a redundant system tied together in the field like this = is this what the electrical engineer depicted on plans or was this an attempt at field modifications to make something work?

The photo just depicts the outside of the conduit and the wiring was never in question, it was a conduit violation.

The previous system used a relay to turn on or keep the emergency fixtures on regardless of the position of the switch so in the event of power loss, the emergency light fixtures came on. Normal power provides power to the emergency fixtures and regular fixtures, however with a loss of normal power, the relay places power to the emergency fixtures only regardless of the position of the switches.

* = * = *

** Rick18071 ** had it correct !..........`17 NEC, Article 348.30(A)

* = * = *

Is the MC cable landing in a EMT fitting?

Wrong size? Doesn't look right.

Even the FMC fittings aren't the same.