• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

When do you enforce NEC 645.10 ?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
There are several instances where IT equipment is installed in a room or closet. Whether you are still on the 2008 NEC, 2011 in which a lot of changes took place or the 2017 NEC, at what point do you start to consider compliance with 645.10 / 685 mandatory?

This has been an area that I have struggled with due to language and practicality.

What say thee?

Honestly, never saw that. That being said, most of the stuff I have seen is plugged in......The HVAC one is interesting, but I am not really sure that the 2014 language gets you to an HVAC disco in the room....

This made sense 50 years ago with mainframe computers. It might make sense for a server room, but the definition if "Information Technology Equipment" is so broad that it could apply to my desk computer, which would make my cubicle an "Information Technology Equipment Room".

This made sense 50 years ago with mainframe computers. It might make sense for a server room, but the definition if "Information Technology Equipment" is so broad that it could apply to my desk computer, which would make my cubicle an "Information Technology Equipment Room".

I think that is a bit extreme but I get your point. How about a server and IT room that is 8'x8' with its own HVAC and 3 bays of equipment with UPS integrated? Would that be a "no brainer" or would you have to think about it?