• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Where do I find toilet clearances in California codes?

Yikes

Gold Member
In the city of LA, their standard correction list for single family residential says:

H-13. Provide 15" minimum between the center of water closet to any side wall. (Calif. Plumb. Code 407.6)

H-14. Provide 24" clear space in front of any water closet. (Calif. Plumb. Code 407.6)

When I look at the CPC, there is not section 407.6. When I look at the LA Municipal Code, I don't see any amendments in the code adoptions that would add these statements.

Am I missing something, or is LA's correction list just wrong?

The proper portion of the California Code is not available on the ICC page for California Codes, but those numbers are consistent with both the IRC and the IPC...
Have you asked the AHJ for a copy of the Code text cited? Or gone to their office and asked to see it?

You are only seeking non-accessible WC dimensions, right?
Note the 15" centerline dates back to 1927 and as such is too small for todays obese bodies.
Minimums of 18" centerline and 36" inside clear for stalls should be considered.
Also note that given the ever increasing weights of individuals, wallhung supports should be given greater concern.