• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Which method?

Sifu

SAWHORSE
In the IEBC, if a building is undergoing a level 2 alteration and a change of occupancy classification, must it comply with both Ch. 8 for level 2 alterations and ch. 10 for change of occupancy?

Chapter 10 would be the chapter you must comply with. Chapter 10 will send you to chapter 8 for specific requirements dealing with egress and accessibility.

10 might be throughout, but you would want them to spell out the level 2 area as those upgrades might only apply to the level 2 work area.....

If the whole building is undergoing a change of occupancy then Chapter 10 and Chapter 9 are applicable not chapter 8

1012.1.1 Compliance with Chapter 9.
The requirements of Chapter 9 shall be applicable throughout the building for the new occupancy classification based on the separation conditions set forth in Sections 1012.1.1.1 and 1012.1.1.2.

I notice 10 kicks me back to 8 and 9 in various places. So I start in ch. 10, and go to the referenced chapters when needed. I have a space within a building that is going from B to mixed M and A. It is a change of classification, and the M portion is a higher risk in the MOE and Heights and areas tables than the B that it was. This would mean I use ch. 10 in the IEBC, go to 9 and 8 where referenced but back to the IBC where indicated since moving to higher risk. BUT, if the same renovations occurred without the change of use or occupancy, we would use ch. 8. Am I gettin' close?

I believe you are on the correct path
So this sounds like a partial change of occupancy and not the entire building correct?

A change of occupancy and level 2 alteration can exist in the same building and the same space...And they may overlap and they may not...typically COO requirements would trump...A COO could mean "no work area" technically which is why it has it's own requirements....

Yes partial change, for a tenant in the building. The question comes up for allowable area. I see this often, the building area is sufficient for the B but exceeds allowable area for the A or M. So I ask about mixed occupancy strategy and everybody gets all wrung out. Then they have to do some actual work to figure out how to make it all work. In this case, the submittal was based on a level 2, but since we haven't adopted the IEBC I asked him go figure it out from the IBC. I was just doing the exercise for my own education since we will be adopting the IEBC at some point and I would like to know how to use it. In the end, it looks like with the risk factors employed, he would end up right back in the IBC so it is the same result. He had to show frontage to get to the allowable area.

You do not have to adopt the IEBC it is an Alternate Compliance under the IBC. It is allowed to be used where ever the IBC has been adopted
3401.6 Alternative compliance.
Work performed in accordance with the International Existing Building Code shall be deemed to comply with the provisions of this chapter.

My boss reads that to say that it is allowed, which is what the commentary says. Doesn't matter much now, chapter 34 is gone and the IEBC will be adopted at the next adoption cycle.