• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Who inspects

Onedad

Can anyone tell me who inspects projects for their local inspector? I am looking at applying for a inspector position, but I have several properties that would have to be inspected annually. I was wondering if there is a conflict of interest issue? Thanks in advance.

Yes it would be a conflict. Either another inspector within the organization or whoever your boss will accept
Do agencies ever hire from another community? It would be only for my own properties. I assume I would pay any additional fees.

Do agencies ever hire from another community? It would be only for my own properties. I assume I would pay any additional fees.

So what types of business or use are your buildings??

Plus you would have to get hired by this city, to worry about it

Your buildings should not be inspected by anyone in your agency or govermental unit. An out of town inspector would be fine

Annuals are done by the FD in CT.....We inspect "permit work"...Ask the question during your interview? If you would be the only inspector you would have to get someone from another jurisdiction, if not then it might not be an issue....

The city I live in approched me about doing this job. I am not quite ready to retire from my current building construction company. I proposed to them that it be part time and I hire an outside inspector to look at my projects. We live in a town of about 4400. There is not a tremendous number of permits pulled annually. Approximately 12 per month.
Thanks for all the help.

The city I live in approched me about doing this job. I am not quite ready to retire from my current building construction company. I proposed to them that it be part time and I hire an outside inspector to look at my projects. We live in a town of about 4400. There is not a tremendous number of permits pulled annually. Approximately 12 per month.
Thanks for all the help.

Yep that is a little different

Would you be the only inspector for the city???

The jurisdiction would need to hire a third-party inspector for anything that has your name attached to it.

You would need to distance yourself as far away from the process as possible.

Perceived conflict of interest is what you want to avoid at all costs.

Good luck.

Even your buddy inspector in another town might be a bad idea? IMO, it should be an approved third party inspector for the AHJ not the contractor choice.

It is doubtful that anyone would care if you inspect your own work. Your competitors might complain about you inspecting their work.