1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Why not what I have for insulation?

Discussion in 'Residential Fire Codes' started by Build it jill, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Build it jill

Build it jill Registered User

i have an abundance of 1” thick closed cell foam that I would like to use for roof insulation. Previously used in the shipping industry, it meets fire mandates of the airlines etc. . Can I insulate with anything as long as I can prove it has a high r rating and is treated for fire retarding?

2. cda

cda Sawhorse

Where do you want to put it??

On the roof ?

On the under side of the roof deck ?

On the top of your ceiling in the attic?

Do you know the R value??

3. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

If this is in CA, Must meet CA energy code Requirements, Not FAA requirements.

4. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

What is the R value?

5. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

Typically Closed Cell Spray Foam has an R-value of 6.0 - 6.5 per inch
    But the product Jill is speaking of could vary

Problems do occur with spray foam including trapping moisture in the framing. This occurs when there is a moisture barrier placed on the outside and closed cell on the inside. trapping moisture in the wall.....