• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Wind turbine system (interactive)

earshavewalls

Bronze Member
We have a City project for a new gymnasium that will include 9 wind turbine generators on the roof. I am very familiar with photo-voltaic system requirements but have not yet reviewed a wind turbine system. All of the information I can find shows that a storage battery system is to be used with this system even if it is to be utility interactive. This does not make much sense to me. There is not indication of a storage battery system being a part of the installation other than on the panel schedule sheet having a schedule for an "Emergency Battery Inverter" to power two lighting circuits. This, again, makes no sense if this is an interactive system.

I am on my second review of this project and asked for complete information on the system to be installed. I got 'some' information back, but not enough to determine any level of compliance.

Is anyone familiar with this type of a system? The are specifying a PacWind SeaHawk Vertical Axis Wind Turbine with a MorningStar TriStar-60 Controller. The single line diagram they provided for the system as well as the connection to the building service does not appear compliant. The first service bus they hit has a 600a bus, but is being fed from a 600a main breaker, but has only a 20a breaker for the turbine system (9 turbines). This is not compliant with the 2005 NEC (2007 California Electrical Code) as this code does not permit the 20% overage as does the 2008 NEC (except for residential).

The questions I have are.....is a storage battery system required for this type of system and why? Am I being too cautious? Is the basic design for a wind turbine system the same as a photo-voltaic (modules=turbines, combiner box, inverter, disconnects, etc.)? I am again frustrated that this type system has not been directly addressed in the code, along with PV. It only gets a slight mention in the definition of a "Hybrid System."

Any insights would be helpful. Manufacturer information is sparse, at best.