• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Windowless bedroom.

oxfordethan

Can anyone think of a way it is permissible to have a 2nd story bedroom in an R-2 occupancy (frat house) without an exterior emergency means of egress? The house has a sprinkler system. I've looked at IFC 2012 1029.1. TIA.

Build it under the 2009 IBC

1029.1 General. In addition to the means of egress required by this chapter, provisions shall be made for emergency escape and rescue in Group R and I-1 occupancies. Basements and sleeping rooms below the fourth story above grade plane shall have at least one exterior emergency escape and rescue opening in accordance with this section. Where basements contain one or more sleeping rooms, emergency escape and rescue openings shall be required in each sleeping room, but shall not be required in adjoining areas of the basement. Such openings shall open directly into a public way or to a yard or court that opens to a public way.

Exceptions:

1. In other than Group R-3 occupancies, buildings equipped throughout with an approved automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2.

Chad Pasquini said:
I have approved a skylight that met the minimum opening requirements.
How does a person in the room reach the skylight, open it and get out ?

oxfordethan said:
Can anyone think of a way it is permissible to have a 2nd story bedroom in an R-2 occupancy (frat house) without an exterior emergency means of egress? The house has a sprinkler system. I've looked at IFC 2012 1029.1. TIA.
NOT Permitable

" ...every sleeping room below the fourth story shall have at least one operable

window or door approved for emergency escape or rescue that shall open directly into a public street, public

alley, yard or exit court. The door or window shall be operable from the inside to provide a full clear opening

without the use of separate tools..."

cda said:
Build it under the 2009 IBC1029.1 General. In addition to the means of egress required by this chapter, provisions shall be made for emergency escape and rescue in Group R and I-1 occupancies. Basements and sleeping rooms below the fourth story above grade plane shall have at least one exterior emergency escape and rescue opening in accordance with this section. Where basements contain one or more sleeping rooms, emergency escape and rescue openings shall be required in each sleeping room, but shall not be required in adjoining areas of the basement. Such openings shall open directly into a public way or to a yard or court that opens to a public way.

Exceptions:

1. In other than Group R-3 occupancies, buildings equipped throughout with an approved automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2.
I believe this is the 2009 IFC... Our state has adopted 2012. It doesn't give the "sprinkler exception".

cda said:
Why are there no windows?
Frat wanted to add some bedrooms on the second floor of the house. They were advised to submit plans to SFM for approval even though they were informed that a windowless bedroom would not fly. They submitted plans but never received an approval letter or stamped prints. They decided to build it out over the summer while the house was unoccupied. I got a call from the house wanting the number for a sprinkler company to move sprinkler heads. I asked for what reason. That's how I found out.

Sloping ceiling cda, even met less than 44 inches above ground, lower end opened straight up and had just a 6 inch overhang. Met minimum width and height.

Sounds like they either not use them as bedrooms or add windows.

And do you know why the plans were not approved ?

Came across this when searching for another issue. Sorry I'm late to the discussion, but thought I'd add some input as we've come across this issue a lot here recently. Section 1029.1 only applies to Group R-2s that are using Tables 1021.2(1) or 1021.2(2) for stories with a single exit. If they have access to 2 exits from the 2nd floor, they wouldn't require emergency escape and rescue openings in the bedrooms. (i.e. two exits available on 1st floor, with 2 exit access stairs on 2nd floor). Do they have 2 stairways from 2nd floor?

cballinger said:
Came across this when searching for another issue. Sorry I'm late to the discussion, but thought I'd add some input as we've come across this issue a lot here recently. Section 1029.1 only applies to Group R-2s that are using Tables 1021.2(1) or 1021.2(2) for stories with a single exit. If they have access to 2 exits from the 2nd floor, they wouldn't require emergency escape and rescue openings in the bedrooms. (i.e. two exits available on 1st floor, with 2 exit access stairs on 2nd floor). Do they have 2 stairways from 2nd floor?
What year edition are you looking at

cda said:
What year edition are you looking at
2012 IBC and I believe he is correct

1029.1 General.

In addition to the means of egress required by this chapter, provisions shall be made for emergency escape and rescue openings in Group R-2 occupancies in accordance with Tables 1021.2(1) and 1021.2(2)

The Tables refer to stories with one exit. Hence if you have 2 exits then the Tables are not applicable and emergency egress windows are not required.

2012 IFC 1029.1 General.

"In addition to the means of egress required by this chapter..."

I'm confused. 1021.2(2) does not allow one exit in floors above the first floor/basement in R-2 occupancies... The frat house in question has three remote stairwells from the second floor (3rd above grade). Therefore, wouldn't that make this frat house "in accordance with" 1021.2(2) and therefore 1029.1 is applicable? "Basements and sleeping rooms below the fourth story above grade plane shall have at least one exterior emergency escape and rescue opening in accordance with this section."

If you have two exits from each story then Tables 1021.2(1) and (2) do not apply to an R-2 use for emergency escape and rescue opening requirements

As an NFPA "only" inspector, what is the IBC escape window size requirement? I'm wondering how far off the Life Safety Code and the IBC are in this area?

RFDACM02 said:
As an NFPA "only" inspector, what is the IBC escape window size requirement? I'm wondering how far off the Life Safety Code and the IBC are in this area?
101 for those that want to see it

24.2.2.3.3* It shall be an outside window or door operable from the inside without the use of tools, keys, or special effort and shall provide a clear opening of not less than 5.7 ft2 (0.53 m2). The width shall be not less than 20 in. (510 mm), and the height shall be not less than 24 in. (610 mm). The bottom of the opening shall be not more than 44 in. (1120 mm) above the floor. Such means of escape shall be acceptable where one of the following criteria is met:

(1)

The window shall be within 20 ft (6100 mm) of the finished ground level.

(2)

The window shall be directly accessible to fire department rescue apparatus as approved by the authority having jurisdiction.

(3)

The window or door shall open onto an exterior balcony.

(4)

Windows having a sill height below the adjacent finished ground level shall be provided with a window well meeting all of the following criteria:

(a)

The window well shall have horizontal dimensions that allow the window to be fully opened.

(b)

The window well shall have an accessible net clear opening of not less than 9 ft2 (0.82 m2) with a length and width of not less than 36 in. (915 mm).

©

A window well with a vertical depth of more than 44 in. (1120 mm) shall be equipped with an approved permanently affixed ladder or with steps meeting both of the following criteria:

i.

The ladder or steps shall not encroach more than 6 in. (150 mm) into the required dimensions of the window well.

ii.

The ladder or steps shall not be obstructed by the window.

Rogerpa: Thanks for the link, that looks a lot like NFPA 101.

We use 101 extensively, not a fan of the new "interpretation" of the 24.2 section for existing windows. Basically allowing the R/O to be 5.0 if the window is wood or vinyl and the operable area meets the minimum 20x24 dimensions. They noted that larger square footage was for firefighters to get in, but that's the first piece of 101 designed for FD access, where the rest of the Code is written for occupant self-preservation (other than detainees or non-ambulatory). Not a fan of this change, I'd like to see 50% of the population try and pass through a 20x24 opening! I suppose a fire chasing you elevates motivation, but...