• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Wood Framed Tub in Type IB

2015 ibc 603.1.14 exception: Blocking such as for handrails, millwork, cabinets and window & door frames.

I might say OK to the framing supporting the tub. not much more that a cabinet. However the wood framed wall is a definite no

Nope, that is framing, not just blocking. And I am with mtlogcabin, whats the deal with the wood framed wall?

FRT wood-framed partitions are permitted per Section 603.1, but what is being shown are concealed spaces--not partitions--around the tub; thus, Section 718.5 comes into play. In my opinion, that's the code in the strictest sense, but I agree that the extent and context of the wood framing do not really create an extensive fire risk as long as the wood is FRT.

How is a concealed space under a tub enclosure any different than the “concealed space” in a partition wall, that is not filled with insulation?

And I’m not sure this is concealed space ... there will be access panels to get to the jacuzzi equipment.

FRT wood-framed partitions are permitted per Section 603.1, but what is being shown are concealed spaces--not partitions--around the tub; thus, Section 718.5 comes into play. In my opinion, that's the code in the strictest sense, but I agree that the extent and context of the wood framing do not really create an extensive fire risk as long as the wood is FRT.
Which it is not

Cabinet definition - a case or cupboard usually having doors and shelves

Case definition - a box or receptacle for holding something

It's just a giant sink base cabinet. That's all. APPROVED

I

the wall is metal. The wood is there for the door frame only
IBC 603.1#6 (Millwork such as doors, door frames, window sashes and frames.) and #14 (Blocking such as for handrails, millwork, cabinets and window and door frames.) permits frames and blocking respectively. To me, that appears to be a trimmer stud at the door opening, and the tub surround is absolutely framing.

Use FR treated per 603.1#1.1 (Nonbearing partitions where the required fire-resistance-rating is 2 hours or less.).

How is a concealed space under a tub enclosure any different than the “concealed space” in a partition wall, that is not filled with insulation?

And I’m not sure this is concealed space ... there will be access panels to get to the jacuzzi equipment.

It is the issue of the volume of open space and potential electrical/ fire hazards - wall stud cavities if you do the math tend to be less than 100 SF. (16" x 96 inches by 3.5" / 144)

Does the building have fire sprinklers? if it is, then the area or framing behind the tub does not meet the exception for not providing fire sprinklers - I see open wall studs behind the void space shown in the picture - DWV PVC piping and water distribution lines

The building is sprinklered.
Here is an updated photo of underneath the tub.
IMG_6578.JPG