• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Wood wall framing: King studs and Jack studs

leothebuilder

Per the 2015 IRC the number of king studs and jacks studs for a header are to be per Table 602.7.5
This table requires 6 full height (king studs) at each side of a 16'-0" span header where walls studs are at 16" o.c.. If you add to that 2 jacks studs to support the header with 3" bearing you have 8 studs at each side.

That just does not make any sense to me at all.
Especially if the same table specifies 4 king studs when wall studs are at 24" o.c..
Am I reading this correctly?

You have to look at the other chart that is referenced there.....For the 16 or 24 O.C.....But it is still alot of wood...
I did not see another chart.

I did check the 2018 IRC and this same table has greatly reduced requirements for full height studs.
A 16 feet opening only requires 2 king studs for wind speed design less than 115 mph.
Makes a lot more sense.