• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Working for Better Built Homes

Uncle Bob

Combined knowledge and commitment,

The never ending problem that both the Fire Service and Building inspections folks have; is while we are consentrating on one or two weakness' in the codes; the NAHB is slipping ten or fifteen code weakening changes in at another room at the hearings.

While we are emphasizing our differences on these one or two subjects; and, fighting among ourselves; the NAHB is busy weakening the codes.

One idea that might help; is for the Fire Service, Building Officials and Inspectors who are members here to preview the up comming code proposals; and set up committees to research the changes on a particular code requirement and/or propose a code requirement; report the findings to the rest; and be prepared at the next hearing to strengthen the codes to protect the families that will be living in those homes and the firefighters that who will be entering those homes. I'll bet there are a bunch of Architects, and Engineers here who would love to help with their expertise.

I would love to see the faces of the NAHB members when large groups of Fire Service. Building Officials and Inspectors; enter the room as a united force, with well documented factual information and outnumbered them.

Oh, well; a guy can dream can't he?

Uncle Bob

Re: Working for Better Built Homes

I am not completely familiar with the process. When is the list of proposals first available for review? Is there enough time between the list becoming available and the hearings to do research?

We do that through the State Fire Marshals office and it's sub-orginizations. It's very hard to organize and pay for a large group of people to stay for at least a week of code hearings. I didn't go to Baltimore because ICC spread everything out over a course of two weeks and it's just too much time off. It's better suited for the RETIRED guys that have more time on their hands. Know any?? :mrgreen: You have to choose your battles very carefully, that's why you see the same lobbyists from both sides, year after year.........at least they're getting paid....

"......at least they're getting paid...."

It's a lot like taking a code violation to court. You show up with your Municipal Attorney (read as 'low bidder' or 'political hack'), they show up with the $1,000 suit whose primary goal is to tie the process up with the type of tactics normally reserved for 'criminal' cases. Like I have the time OR the energy to go back to court 6, 8, 10 times for the same stupid 'open and shut' case of (insert violation here).

OK, it's two days til Christmas, I'm trying not to rant...