• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Would you approve this motor to be installed in your jurisdiction?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
So here is an electric motor for a boat lift. As you can see by the label, it is a single phase, 230V motor with a running current of 7.4A. The frame is a 56C and it is 60Hz. In addition the RPM is 1750 which is a common speed. So far a pretty basic 1HP motor. Let's break this down a bit further and see if it meets NEC 430.7(A):

(1) Manufacturers name? Yes
(2) Rated volts and full load current? Yes and yes 230/7.4
(3) Rated frequency and phases? Yes, 60Hz and 1~
(4) Rated full load speed? Yes, 1750rpm
(5) Rated temp. rise or the insulation system class and rated ambient temp? I think so, 40C
(6) Time Rating? I'm not sure I see that, do you? What is I.CI. ?
(7) Rated HP if 1/8 or more? Yes, 1HP
(8) Code letter or locked-rotor amperes if 1/2HP or more? I don't know? What is the V below the Amps? Is that it?
(9) Design letter for B,C or D motors? Once again, don't know, nothing specified like most other motors.
(10),(11),(12) Does not apply.
(13) Does not appear to be thermally protected and does not have to be. OK
(14) Impedance protected? Not marked but does not have to be
(15) Condensation heater integral to motor? No and not required to be.

Therefore, based on what I see marked on this motor, it is listed by an approved testing lab in Canada (CSA) but not UL which is OK as long as it is a current NRTL approved lab. The problem is the labeling and figuring the locked rotor current because the LRA is missing and the code letter designation is not identified.

I would not approve the installation of this motor. I mean if that code letter is a V, that means the KVA per HP LRC would start at 22.4. That is insane. Would you approve this?

Maybe the manufacturer can walk me through this label.

IMG_2194.JPG