• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Y-Delta starters on Fire Pumps with across the line bypass

mshields

Silver Member
Your opinion and/or what the code has to say about this; If a Fire pump is provided with a Y-Delta starter plus an across the line bypass starter, would you size the generator for the across the line or just the Y-Delta?

It strikes me that this could drive your generator size through the ceiling and that bypass, not being a requirement is acceptably left as an option only while on utility power. What are your thoughts?

Mike

Greetings,

I don't know the answer but, it would seem to me that the bldg owner would want worse case scenario if affordable? I question why they have a dual setup like that anyway. When I used to work in a production facility years ago we were doing away with all of our Y/Delta starts and going to electronic soft start stuff. All high tech. Y/D starters, if used very much require a fair amount of maintenance and are prone to malfunctions because of all of the mechanical and electrical interlocks. BTW, our fire pumps in that facility were across the line starts. I spent many hours over the years troubleshooting and maintaining the Y/Delta. To me they are a real pain.

To answer your basic question though, I don't think the national codes will address that. I would look for local guidance from the FM and see what they say. There may be some state requirments as well. If it happened here I would say it would be up the owner precluding any regs I'm not aware of.

BSSTG