• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Yes, we are ready for the UG plumbing inspection and backfill

jar546

Forum Coordinator
No you are not

a6419a7c.jpg

b659f521.jpg

where is the purple primer? every plumbig system needs a vent at ground level and a trap outside the building. Is this a local amendment in PA?

jar546 said:
Outside is a building trap with a fresh air intake required by the local sanitary authority
Does that mean that all fixtures are now double trapped in violation of IPC 1002.1

A fixture shall not be double trapped.

pwood said:
isn't it usually trap then vent in the direction of flow? i'm going back to the state of confusion now.
Its a fresh air intake. If it was on the other side of the trap, it would be venting the sewer system gas. There is an exception to IPC 1002.1

jar546 said:
Its a fresh air intake. If it was on the other side of the trap, it would be venting the sewer system gas. There is an exception to IPC 1002.1
I have never seen a building trap before. What "local conditions" would nessitate the need of one? Jar stated it was a local ammendment requirement which is fine but what was the reason for it? Anyone care to educate me when a building trap may be needed? How would I know when to approve one to be installed?

1002.6 Building traps.

Building (house) traps shall be prohibited, except where local conditions necessitate such traps. Building traps shall be provided with a cleanout and a relief vent or fresh air intake on the inlet side of the trap. The size of the relief vent or fresh air intake shall not be less than one-half the diameter of the drain to which the relief vent or air intake connects. Such relief vent or fresh air intake shall be carried above grade and shall be terminated in a screened outlet located outside the building.

A building trap is an archaic code requirement. I'm just guessing, but it might have been meant to keep sewer gasses from the house out of a combined sanitary/storm sewer system (also archaic). It may have been necessary a century ago, but not today.