• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

You Call It

ICE

Oh Well
Think of a name for it.

This one is hard to read. It states that two circuit breakers were replaced and two "jointuction" boxes in the attic were "redone".

$3576.00

This is the panel where the two new breakers are located. It was bootlegged years ago. There is no permit for the electrical work. The sewer is in the front yard so they got a permit. They do a lot of these clean-outs. Mostly as the result of a blockage. The owner looks for the biggest add and it says clean out any sewer for $$. People think "Well, considering the alternative, that's not so bad." Then they set the hook and reel them in. The clean-out salesman drives a Bentley. (after work) it 'aught to have a flame paint job.

One owner...$6176.00

He's not too old and far from infirm and he took out a loan to pay for this.

I would not be surprised if the contractor owns the finance company.

Last edited by a moderator:
jar546 said:
And I am sure they are long gone by now
Actually I would be pleased if that were true. This is one of the most successful contractors in so. California.

It has been going on since before I was an inspector. I remember early on, the day I ran into a $5200 water heater. The owner was mid 90s and alone. She said that what convinced her was hearing that $5200 divided by 18 was $288.00 and that isn't too much to pay for a years worth of hot water.

Almost makes me want to take a shower. I wanted to tell her that she should replace it every few years.

Back then, a water heater, installed, was $600.00.

Hell, I just paid $1000.00

Last edited by a moderator:
I know of one here who took a homeowner for $7600 to install a wood stove. He's the one that I just testified about at the DOJ hearing a couple weeks ago. He was unlicensed at the time he entered into the contract with the homeowner. His defense was that it was not his signature on the contract. wtf? Homeowner managed to get a $2500 +/- judgement against him in small claims court.

10 citations total and I hope he loses his license. Home is now in foreclosure due to his shenanigans.

Sue

I do not know what I would do if I ran into this sort of practice on a daily basis. reflects poorly on the construction industry as a whole. Please name this successful so cal contractor.

The permit says that the scope of work is the installation of piers, posts and girders. The contractor surmised (correctly) that I wouldn't crawl under the house. I was shown a bunch of pictures of a bunch of work.

Well I did stick the camera in the access hole and this is what I see.

Mac said:
Predatory scum
The contractor called the office manager to complain that I ask the owners to show me the paperwork.

We do not allow Perma-Liner and I have caught them doing that several times. The permit will state "sewer repair" or "install cleanout"

So I always ask to see the contract to get an idea what was done. Well not anymore as I have been told to not ask to see the paperwork.

Not long ago as I approached the job I asked the workman how did the liner work out. The workman said that it went in easy. Then he realized that he let the cat out of the bag. Then the cat wrote him a correction to replace the sewer. The workman became angry and accused me of tricking him. I said "guilty as charged"....what a dummy. I had one where the building drain had been lined on a slab house.

ICE said:
Actually I would be pleased if that were true. This is one of the most successful contractors in so. California.It has been going on since before I was an inspector. I remember early on, the day I ran into a $5200 water heater. The owner was mid 90s and alone. She said that what convinced her was hearing that $5200 divided by 18 was $288.00 and that isn't too much to pay for a years worth of hot water.

Almost makes me want to take a shower. I wanted to tell her that she should replace it every few years.

Back then, a water heater, installed, was $600.00.

Hell, I just paid $1000.00
I would not consider them a "successful contractor". Bernie Madoff was quite successful at what he did and look at how many lives he destroyed.

These types of companies or individuals are pure vermin in our society without any integrity or morals. Makes you want to puke when you see or here of it.

An unfortunate roofing contractor installed an asphalt shingle roof covering on a roof that's pitched 2.25" in 12". Only one layer of 15# under-layment was installed. We do two inspections for a re-roof, sheathing and final. The contractor was there for the sheathing inspection and witnessed me checking the pitch with a digital level.

I have known the contractor for 15 years.

At the final inspection, I wrote a correction stating that two layers of under-layment are required. The contractor was not present but the owner was.

The contractor has been to the office and made his displeasure known to the manager.

1. I should not have answered the owner's question when he asked if the roof passed final inspection.

2. We should do an in-progress inspection.

3. He's getting a letter from the shingle manufacturer that will absolve him of the two layer code.

4. I have it out for him and he doesn't want me to inspect his work in the future.

5. I should have seen that there wasn't enough material to cover the roof twice when I performed the sheathing inspection and alerted him at that time.

#5 was a new one on me. But as you can see, it's clearly all my fault.

This is not the first time that he's done this. I had another occasion, ten years ago, where there were two layers at the leading edge but one layer on the rest of the roof. Quite by accident, I observed him doing the work and I told him at that time that he must start over with two layers. He wasn't far into the job and would have lost maybe four square of material. He ignored me and never called for a final inspection. The owner did not respond to several notices and the permit expired.

This time around, I suspect that he can't get paid.

Beware of a batch of contractors from a middle eastern country that has descended on So Cal. I used to run into them a few times a year but lately it has been several times a month.

They abuse the elderly. They find the victims with advertising for walk-in bathtubs. Then they sell them all sorts of work that they don't need. The most recent is a woman alone in her eighties. So far she has contracted for the tub, an electrical service upgrade, foundation anchors and five retro-fit windows. The bill has reached $77,000.00 and Shirley they aren't done.

The first inspection was for the tub. The lady asked me if I thought that she needed a service upgrade. The dwelling is 1400 sq ft and had a 100 amp service. The contractor had convinced her that the service was inadequate. I told her that she didn't need it. A few days later a permit for a new service came across my desk.

Then the contractor called to get a time for inspection. Right away I new the lady was in trouble. During the next inspection she asked me if she needed a seismic retrofit of the foundation. I told her that she was in the clutches of a crook and to not have anything more to do with them. She said, "But they are such nice, polite young men". They came down to $22,000.00 from $38,000.00 for the retrofit and tossed in the five windows. The bathtub and electrical service cost her $55,000.00

Her flawed thinking goes like this: "I will be getting a break on my home owner's insurance because of the new electrical service and foundation retrofit". She is anxious for me to final the work so that she can send the proof to the insurance company. It shouldn't take more that 800 years to break even.

Another victim had a contract which stated that for a fee, the contractor would be available to answer questions 24/7. The fee was $25,000.00 In the end she was out $240,000.00

I have tried to get the responsible government agencies to react to this situation. So far it's been for naught. It is because a contractor can set his price wherever he sees fit and buyer beware is the rule.

Last edited:
"He was unlicensed" I know that in California that means the home owner owes nothing- illegal is illegal- no sympathy from the Judge!

It was to be a simple water heater inspection. I was looking to get done early and screw the pooch. As simple as a water heater inspection is, I am left to wonder if they find the installers at Home Depot, put them in a uniform and tell them that they are aqua caliente boiler plomeros.

Well wouldn't you know it, it's a Sears sale. The lady in her mid-eighties paid Sears $1300....$594 for the heater and $706 to install it.

14852725891_9a9317734c_b.jpg

14832784196_7a29437dd0_b.jpg

14867976635_e11917dd63_h.jpg

I didn't want to do it, but I had to tell her that she did a lousy job with the vent. When I showed her what a vent cap is, she said that they left a big mess in her yard that she had to pick up so it's possible that she tossed it.

14669176408_c24d79b0f5_b.jpg

The T&P drain pipe is a couple inches off the concrete and it can't terminate within the enclosure. But they did strap the heater in.

Last edited:
14669166299_a98b4abdc4_b.jpg 14855760175_da1da69083_b.jpg 14853322584_a7fda400c6_b.jpg 14852718581_250be767f4_b.jpg

That's right. The water heater is strapped to a shim that is attached to the doghouse.

She asked me what would happen next. I told her that they would be coming back to fix a few things. Right away she worried about the ineptitude of the workers, and Shirley paying them more money.

I told her to call Sears and voice your concerns. She asked me to write down what she should say when she calls Sears. I told her that I did, it's right here....my corrections. She said she wants the stuff about getting a new crew and not sticking it to her. Well I told her that I am not supposed to get involved to that level. I explained that everybody freaks out if I mention dollars. The contractors, the contractors family and friends, my supervisors, they all lose it if I point out the obvious. So no ma'am, I will not write it down and leave evidence of my imprudence.

She started to tear up. A little old lady was asking for my help and I am supposed to excuse myself and be on my way to the next one. My escape from this dilemma was a jump back in time. I went back to the moment when she told me that they left a pile of garbage for her to pick up. I thought,"What ungrateful pigs they are".

While reliving the past I heard her say, "Please Sir, please call Sears for me" "I'll never be able to do it"

I asked her if she had children. She said yes, a boy and girl. I asked her what the boy's name is and she told me Robert. I said, well give me the phone and call me Bobby.

I then spent the next hour being shuffled, on hold and hung up on. I called the store in Brea, where she bought the thing and talked with people in Toledo, Chicago and somewhere in the south but got no closer to the store manager than a thousand miles. At every stop they had to type in the inspector's list. It got to the point that the little old lady knew the corrections by heart. I'm thinking, What the Hell, she could've done this herself.

I could hear the keystrokes on their end and it sounded just like me....two fingers. I had to talk slow and not give them more than three words at a time. This could be the training ground for installers.

In the end, a guy named Joe assured me that the work will get done "Up to Code" and Robert's mom won't pay any more money. We will see.

Last edited:
Why is the col;d water line insulated? And should the insulation cover the nipple that comes out of the top of the tank?