• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

You Call It

e hilton said:
Why is the cold water line insulated?
It gets really hot here....two or three days a year.

The pipes perform as radiators because they are connected to the warm tank. That is true for both hot and cold pipes.

And should the insulation cover the nipple that comes out of the top of the tank?
I can't think of a reason not to.

Last edited by a moderator:
e hilton said:
Why is the col;d water line insulated? And should the insulation cover the nipple that comes out of the top of the tank?
Our energy codes require the first 5' of water line (hot and cold) from the water heater be insulated. You can put your hand on the piping and feel the heat from the tank. The insulation supposedly prevents this heat dissipation and thus saves you money.

The insulation is combustible and should have an 18" clearance to the vent pipe though. Oh what to do? Retire? Oh yeah i just did! :mrgreen:

pwood said:
The insulation is combustible and should have an 18" clearance to the vent pipe though.
Outdoors, the clearance to combustibles from a single wall vent connector is 6". It is 18" indoors. I have seen melted foam from being against the vent but I haven't seen burnt foam. Not that it couldn't happen, I just haven't seen it.

ICE said:
The pipes perform as radiators because they are connected to the warm tank.
I thought there were one-way valves in both hot & cold connections to prevent hot water from backflowing up the cold pipe.

I got into trouble for asking to see the paperwork. I have caught them doing more work than what the permit states so often that I felt that there was no foul in asking the owner to see the contract. Of course the price is always on the contract. Now I have endeavored to not react to the price.

Today the plumber and the owner were in the front yard when I arrived. I got to talking with them and the plumber asked a few questions about sewer liners. I looked at the owner and asked him if he was thinking about having a liner installed. He said oh goodness no, it will take some time to pay off the bill for the cleanouts. Well I saw that as an opening to inquire....after all I didn't bring up the cost.....the owner did. So I asked him how much he paid for the cleanouts. $8000.00 was his answer. I asked him if he got anything other than the cleanouts...like maybe a big screen and a Moped. Nope, just cleaned out he was...just cleaned out.

15853137129_e1e3c4fe5f_b.jpg

I bet that this one company does 30 of these every week. Understand that they aren't all bell ringers like this $8k gift, but most are over $3k and I've seen them take folks for over $20k.

Last edited:
e hilton said:
I thought there were one-way valves in both hot & cold connections to prevent hot water from backflowing up the cold pipe.
I'm sorry that I missed this e hilton.

I have heard such a thing mentioned before but haven't a clue. Perhaps some of the members that are sharp with plumbing can tell us.

They're going to howl about this one.

15852140840_7cfeff0cd4_b.jpg

I told them to install a pair of driveway rated yard boxes. I made up the "driveway rated" verbiage. I couldn't think of a better description of a yard box that can support a garbage truck.

16013572706_6d1313fa8e_b.jpg

No matter what they do, I'll say sorry but that's not it.

Last edited:
e hilton said:
I believe they make some of them with integral heat traps.....the heat is lost through conduction through the pipes connected to the WH....Not the movement of the water...We do 5' of cold and 10' of hot with insul here...

Something is screwy with the website. Wayne posted a reply to my post (#29)prior to my post(#31). My post says that it it 2 hours old but it is actually 12 hours old. I looked at several other threads that I replied to and they are all off by 12 hours.

About 30 feet of trenchless sewer pipe has been installed. I suppose they went that route instead of digging a trench and replacing the clay pipe with ABS because they didn't want to tear up the yard. So they tore up the yard. The pipe is two feet deep to six feet deep. The cost was $6887.00

22210686099_62395db7a2_b.jpg

The method of installation is to pull the liner through the clay pipe and burst the clay pipe as the
breaker head passes through. The ring is a ridge where two sections of the pastic pipe have been fused together. That ridge must be removed. It takes a special tool. I don't think that the special tool will make the turn through a clean-out fitting.

22371523936_94cc5f3f0d_b.jpg

I find it hard to believe that people fall for this bullsh_t scam.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure that once completed you cannot run a root cutter down it ever again either......................

They didn't include a cleanout. The paperwork stated "Spot repair...3' of ABS....$3,800.00."

31841178560_4442189a8c_b.jpg

Last edited:
What is wrong with these people to charge this amount for this work, and what is wrong with these people that are accepting the proposals?

Publilius Syrus: Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it.

Don't agree with ripping people off, but there it is.