• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

You make the call: NEC 110.26

jar546

Forum Coordinator
New natural gas pipe run below the panelboard.

What say you?

IMAG0057.jpg

Would 110.26(F)(1)(b) allow you to approve this?

Sorry for the fuzzy picture

2003 IRC allows 6" projections past the front of the eqipment, above and below, as long as they are associated with the electrical equipment...no gas E3305.2

I think the gas pipe is okay per exception (a) Dead-Front Assemblies: Working space shall not be required in the back or sides of assemblies, . . . where all connections and all renewable or adjustable parts, such as fuses or switches, are accessible from locations other than the back or sides, . . .

Edit: nec2008: 110.26: (A)(1)(a)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jobsaver said:
I think the gas pipe is okay per exception (a) Dead-Front Assemblies: Working space shall not be required in the back or sides of assemblies, . . . where all connections and all renewable or adjustable parts, such as fuses or switches, are accessible from locations other than the bacl or sides, . . .
This is not a working space violation, it is a Dedicated Work Space violation.

Also, exception (a) of what?

IRC2006 does not allow plumbing pipe below the panel anymore. If thats MC should be secured to wall. Grounding conductor should be protected with conduit below the ceiling. Working clearance in front of panel should be 30"x36".

What are the chances that electrical will need to come through that area directly below the panel where this obstruction will create a hazard or dangerous condition?

I’ve allowed this where all the electrical was fed from the back side or over the panel as shown and not likely through the concrete floor below. Would it make sense to have this gas line re-routed over the panel and comply with the exception 110.26(F)(1)(b)?

It would be simpler to go over the work space 6½ ft from the floor in front of the panel instead of the dedicated equipment space of more than 6 feet above the panel or structural ceiling.

jar546 said:
That would be a better option. Take advantage of 110.26(F)(1)(b)
Just for the sake of argument,

Are you saying to move the gas line 6 ft. above the panel to take it out of the dedicated space???? I read "(b)" as allowing foreign systems in locations above the equipment (very high ceilings).

If I were making the "call" - I might miss this one and fight another day.

Steve

$ $ $ $

I'm thinking that the prudent, more practical solution would be to

contact the AHJ in the 1st place BEFORE installing the new line.

Jeff did not say if this was in his AHJ.

I would have to concur with Forest on this one.....Build a box

around it.

inspector444,

Welcome to the "Yet Un-named Where Obsessive Compulsive

Disorder, ...Hair-Splitting, ...Code Rendering, ...Gray Area Dwelling

Know-It-Alls Hangout" forum!.....We're feisty, but overall, ...pretty

helpful! :D

$ $ $ $

inspector444 said:
If I were making the "call" - I might miss this one and fight another day.

Steve
Very good tactful statement!

(a) Dedicated Electrical Space. The space equal to the width and depth of the equipment and extending from the floor to a height of 6 ft. above the equipment or to the structural ceiling, whichever is lower, shall be dedicated to the electrical installation. No piping, ducts, leak protection apparatus, or other equipment foreign to the electrical installation shall be located in this zone.

(b) Foreign Systems. The area above the dedicated space required by 110.26(F)(1)(a) shall be permitted to contain foreign systems, provided protection is installed to avoid damage to the electrical equipment from condensation leaks, or breaks in such foreign systems.

I am not AHJ in this area. Once again in there to cover a discipline this municipality does not have.

Bottom line. It is wrong and how they decide to correct it is their decision.

I don't see how building a box around the pipe helps. It's still supposed to be dedicated space under the panel equal to the depth of the panel to the floor. That tells me it should be nothing there but wiring, conduit, etc.

Byron

I'm not an electrical guy, but can the dedicated space be measured from the face of the panel? If the panel was, say, 12" from the wall, would this reduce the dedicated space's depth by 12", thus giving you only 24" in front of the panel (I'm guessing that the dedicated space is 36" deep)?

In other words, is the depth of the panel included in the depth measurement? This surface mount panel would give you less depth than a "flush" panel at its front.