• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Your AHJ distance from electrical meter to panel

SCBO1

Platinum Member
What is your policy for the distance from a service provider meter can to the panel?

NEC 230.70 (A)

What is the reasoning for the separation? I don't see any reference to a required separation (looking at 2005 NEC)

Amended, pushback from the fire guys, back-to-back, meter to panel, or exterior disconnect.

So this wouldn't work?
785901894193lg.jpg

View attachment 366

View attachment 366

/monthly_2011_01/785901894193lg.jpg.54f68b37db4d255d63a2bba5d82ccea0.jpg

:confused: is the point to have the disconnect close to the meter? Or to have a certain distance between the meter and the panelboard?

Our meter pans have a disconnect in them; you can disconnect or bypass. Would that meet your requirements?

TimNY said:
Our meter pans have a disconnect in them; you can disconnect or bypass. Would that meet your requirements?
Since meter bases are not covered in the NEC, they don't meet the requirements of 230.70.

TimNY said:
:confused: is the point to have the disconnect close to the meter? Or to have a certain distance between the meter and the panelboard?Our meter pans have a disconnect in them; you can disconnect or bypass. Would that meet your requirements?
I think the point is to have an over-current device at the meter or as close as reasonably possible.

I see 230.70 (2005) and it says exterior or near where they enter the building.

We often see meters a 100 feet from the house. Conductors enter the house and enter the panel that has a main breaker. Unless it's a local amendment I don't see where there is a distance requirement.

I wouldn't think the POCO would have any say after the meter, but of course you gotta do what they say.

There isn't a distance required but it can be covered in other sections such as protection from hazards and req'd over-current devices. Like said below it is an AHJ call on how to rope it in. If the meter is 100' and the conduit is underground one could consider that as being protected if buried properly.

Also see the commentary in the NEC handbook sec. 230.70

10' has always been the rule and a fudge or two, but a home inspector wrote up a home in my AHJ and said it has to be 6' and I asked them for the code section, He's got the buyer upset. Could it be a requirement from another code?

This may be oversimplified, if possible, politely ask the home inspector

to provide a copy of the code section from whence he referenced it.