• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Yurt building code approval

jtom

Sawhorse
Has anyone dealt with a yurt?I am concerned about snow loads,wind bracing,fire ratings,energy code,etc.They do not meet the residential codes.Is anyone doing code modifications to allow them to be built?Any information would be appreciated.

Has anyone dealt with a yurt?I am concerned about snow loads,wind bracing,fire ratings,energy code,etc.They do not meet the residential codes.Is anyone doing code modifications to allow them to be built?Any information would be appreciated.
In 2017 a client wanted to build a short deck wit a Yurt on it for "Family gathering" purposes and for a dry place for the kids to play. After reviewing the local zoning codes and the building code I confirmed that a structure less than 200 SF did not require a Building Permit but still needed to meet zoning setback requirements. In addition, a deck that is less than 24-inches A.F.G. also does not need a permit and can be build in the setbacks.They also wanted to have a heat source such as a small heat pump. I too was unsure as to the code language so after speaking to several plans examiners it was suggested that I apply for a Building Code Appeal to clarify. The effort was successful and the Yurt was built on a 24-inch high deck platform with a heat pump. i realize that some of these issues are local zoning code decisions but they worked for us. As to Snow Loads, this is a "Tent" and is not designed to support much load. I hope this helps. Cheers! Edski

While here in Portland, if erected on a street corner it would be ignored, it certainly would not be allowed a for a citizen who follows the rules. Jus Say'n.

Several Virginia state parks have yurts for rentals. They don't have plumbing or electricity, so they might have been permitted as permanent tents rather than dwellings.

Engineering will probably be required, unless you can find test data that the local building official will accept.

I think there is also one at a lake near Gordonsville in Louisa County. The Louisa Co. building official used to post on this site, but hasn't recently.

Last edited:
Requiring engineering for yurts opens a can of worms.

I they are of modest size constructed and employ traditional construction they probably do not need engineering. Remember these yurts have been used for many years. If you tried to engineer them you would find the effort very involved and ultimately the code would not recognize the materials. Most engineers would not have access to the necessary software.

If somebody wanted to build something using non-traditional construction and call it a yurt then there might be some rational reason for requiring engineering.

I just found that there's actually a yurt manufacturer in Virginia - Blue Ridge Yurts in Floyd. Their faqs say they are engineered to withstand 90 MPH winds and 40 PSF snow load, and stamped drawings are available for several states. They say the main code issue is the energy code.