• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Existing hospital, fully sprinkled, with existing storage and mechanical rooms.

Given: NFPA 101 Life Safety Code, Chapter 18, Existing hospital.
All storage and mechanical rooms shall be one-hour fire-rated - or - protected with an automatic fire sprinkler system.

Situation:
Local inspector is requiring me to analyze all existing doors and write a report that identifies:
(1) which doors need to be rated and
(2) which doors need to be replaced because they do not have the required fire rating.

Conclusion:
The existing hospital is sprinkled and none of the existing storage and mechanical rooms need to be fire-rated.

Question:
Am I missing something here?

I got this from UpCodes and do not see the or - protected with an automatic fire sprinkler system exception

The following areas shall be considered hazardous areas and shall be protected by fire barriers having a minimum 1-hour fire resistance rating in accordance with Section 8.3:
  1. Boiler and fuel-fired heater rooms
  2. Central/bulk laundries larger than 100 ft2 (9.3 m2)
  3. Paint shops employing hazardous substances and materials in quantities less than those that would be classified as a severe hazard
  4. Physical plant maintenance shops
  5. Rooms with soiled linen in volume exceeding 64 gal (242 L)
  6. Rooms with collected trash in volume exceeding 64 gal (242 L)
  7. Storage rooms larger than 100 ft2 (9.3 m2) and storing combustible material

It sounds like this is an existing hospital, which would follow Chapter 19:

19.3.2.1 Hazardous Areas
Any hazardous areas shall be safeguarded by a fire barrier having a 1-hour fire resistance rating or shall be provided with an automatic extinguishing system in accordance with 8.7.1.