• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Grading lumber in louisianna

Paulie Fowler

Hi my name is Paulie Fowler I’m trying to find out about I’m cutting my own pine lumber to build a house now my local planning office is asking for the lumber I’m milling to be graded and stamped I’m in Bogalusa Louisianna what’s the least expensive way to do this please does any body know thanks

Welcome Paulie...

You will likely need to hire a lumber grading/inspection agency that can provide certification in accordance with DOC PS 20. This is required by the Louisiana Residential Code Sect. R602.1.1 (below).

A brief google search and I found Timber Products Inspection (website linked).

LA Res. Code (2021 IRC) R602.1.1 Sawn Lumber

Sawn lumber shall be identified by a grade mark of an accredited lumber grading or inspection agency and have design values certified by an accreditation body that complies with DOC PS 20. In lieu of a grade mark, a certification of inspection issued by a lumber grading or inspection agency meeting the requirements of this section shall be accepted.

Last edited:
Welcome Paulie...

You will likely need to hire a lumber grading/inspection agency that can provide certification in accordance with DOC PS 20. This is required by the Louisiana Residential Code Sect. R602.1.1 (below).

A brief google search and I found Timber Products Inspection (website linked).

LA Res. Code (2021 IRC) R602.1.1 Sawn Lumber

Sawn lumber shall be identified by a grade mark of an accredited lumber grading or inspection agency and have design values certified by an accreditation body that complies with DOC PS 20. In lieu of a grade mark, a certification of inspection issued by a lumber grading or inspection agency meeting the requirements of this section shall be accepted.
I’m having trouble finding a grader and how much will it cost please does anybody know thanks