• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Interesting articles on wind power

ICE

Oh Well

Screenshot_20220805-093815_Facebook.jpg

As a guy who lives off-grid, I have a big problem with wind. Essentially, when you look at the cost-benefit analysis, the current push to massive turbines is ineffective. The most viable form of wind - if placed in suitable areas - is in the 10-25Kw generation capacity (IRRC), which puts wind outside the area where it's commercially viable.

In short, wind works well for homes and small businesses but not for commercial generation.

As a guy who lives off-grid, I have a big problem with wind. Essentially, when you look at the cost-benefit analysis, the current push to massive turbines is ineffective. The most viable form of wind - if placed in suitable areas - is in the 10-25Kw generation capacity (IRRC), which puts wind outside the area where it's commercially viable.

In short, wind works well for homes and small businesses but not for commercial generation.
I believe if that were the case, wind turbines would not be around as long as they have been. I remember when I was in the Marines in the spring of 1987 flying in a helicopter from 29 Palms to Camp Pendleton, California, and flying over a massive wind farm that seemed to go on for miles. I think that was just north/northeast of Palm Springs which still has 2 or 3 wind farms in the same location today, almost 40 years later.