• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What is the work classification for replacing a fire alarm system?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Interpretation:

Question in Detail:
We are in the process of updating a fire alarm system in a Group R-2 (dormitory) setting, transitioning from existing horn notification appliances to a new voice alarm system.

Inquiry:
Does the 2018 International Existing Building Code (IEBC) categorize this as a Level 1 alteration or a Level 2 alteration? Is this considered a "reconfiguration of system" that would elevate it to a Level 2 classification?

Interpretation of the IEBC:
This interpretation is also relevant to the 2021 and 2024 versions of the IEBC.
Using the work area compliance approach, repairs are defined as the restoration or replacement of damaged materials, elements, equipment, or fixtures to maintain them in a sound condition concerning existing loads or performance standards.
Per Section 602 of the 2018 IEBC, Level 1 alterations involve the removal and replacement or covering of existing materials, elements, equipment, or fixtures with new ones that fulfill the same function. Level 1 alterations are the most straightforward type of modifications and do not include the reconfiguration of spaces or the removal and/or relocation of walls, doors, or windows.
On the other hand, Section 603 defines Level 2 alterations as those involving space reconfiguration, the addition or removal of any doors or windows, the reconfiguration or extension of any system, or the installation of new equipment.
Considering the fire alarm system is not impaired, its replacement would not qualify as a repair. The substitution of horn notification appliances with a new voice alarm system does not entail space reconfiguration nor does it necessarily involve the reconfiguration or extension of the fire alarm system itself.
Therefore, it is our view that replacing the horn notification appliances with a new voice alarm system does not meet the criteria for a Level 2 alteration and would more accurately be classified as a Level 1 alteration.

Does the 2018 International Existing Building Code (IEBC) categorize this as a Level 1 alteration or a Level 2 alteration? I
The IEBC does not categorize which method to use. That is the designer's choice and the AHJ reviews and agrees with the chosen method or not.

Chapter 5 would be the one I would choose. since it sends you to the IFC retroactive portion of the fire code.

503.14 Smoke alarms.
Individual sleeping units and individual dwelling units in Group R and I-1 occupancies shall be provided with smoke alarms in accordance with Section 1103.8 of the International Fire Code.

503.15 Carbon monoxide alarms.
Carbon monoxide alarms shall be provided to protect sleeping units and dwelling units in Group I-1, I-2, I-4 and R occupancies in accordance with Section 1103.9 of the International Fire Code.

Exceptions:

1. Work involving the exterior surfaces of buildings, such as the replacement of roofing or siding, the addition or replacement of windows or doors, or the addition of porches or decks.

2. Installation, alteration or repairs of plumbing or mechanical systems, other than fuel-burning appliances.

Personally, it would be a fire alarm permit not a building permit and the IFC 1103.7.6 along with IFC 1103.8 and 1103.9 would apply.

Personally, it would be a fire alarm permit not a building permit and the IFC 1103.7.6 along with IFC 1103.8 and 1103.9 would apply.
The permit would be issued by the Building Department but it would be a Fire Alarm permit. The ICC has officially answered this question and ruled this would be a Level 1 alteration.

The permit would be issued by the Building Department but it would be a Fire Alarm permit
I agree it would be a Fire Alarm permit not a building permit
The ICC has officially answered this question and ruled this would be a Level 1 alteration.
Is it a Code Committee interpretation or just a written opinion from a staff person.
My concern with what you posted from ICC is Level I does not reference the IFC at all, specifically the retroactive requirements for an R-2 like Chapter 5 and Level II does.

SECTION 703
FIRE PROTECTION

703.1 General.
Alterations shall be done in a manner that maintains the level of fire protection provided.

When you are exceeding the level of provided fire protection then that moves the alteration to the next level IMHO.