• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Marijuana grow operations and mechanical ventilation

Coder

Silver Member
My jurisdiction just passed an ordinance allowing growing, selling, manufacturing, and testing of marijuana products. I get the fun of ensuring that all of these new facilities are code compliant. (overwhelming joy floods over me). :banghd The first problem I am facing is verifying compliance of the required mechanical exhaust and source capture systems for odor control in any facility. I am starting out by telling the applicant that the system needs to be designed professionally and specific to the building. My question to the group is will they need to design to the IMC chapter 4 for ventilation rates and chapter 5 exhaust systems? Or is this a separate beast that no one knows how to handle yet?

% ~ % ~ %

What odor control ?.......What type of stank is there ?................Aren't these

Grow Ops. similar to a regular, non-cannabis Greenhouse ?

By testing, ...do you mean consumption by smoking, or other ? :-D

% ~ % ~ %

north star said:
% ~ % ~ %

What odor control ?.......What type of stank is there ?................Aren't these

Grow Ops. similar to a regular, non-cannabis Greenhouse ?

By testing, ...do you mean consumption by smoking, or other ? :-D

% ~ % ~ %
Not sure if you are serious or not but these grow operations are anything but like a greenhouse full of vegatables. They are "highly" controlled cultivation areas with elaborate systems to create the perfect plants. The odiferous emanations are likened to that of a sweet skunky road kill that has had time to fester in the sun. Others say that its pungent aroma is like a savory flower of goodness. Depends on who you talk to. :-D The point being I have to "approve" their odor control devices. The "testing" facilitys are like laboratories that determine how much THC the products have in them. I imagine they aren't there passing the joint around saying "that's some good **** mannn"

~ @ ~

Section 401.6 from the `15 IMC, states to comply with the requirements

of an Exhaust System from Ch. 5, to an approved location on the exterior

of the bldg.

~ @ ~

I was going to suggest Steve also. Contact info for him is on page 40 of the handout cda linked.

Thanks guys, I have talked to Steve Thomas about this previously. My take on it based on our conversations is that the mechanical exhaust/make-up air system will be required to be designed in accordance with the IMC and include some type of carbon filtration or other "approved" method of removing the odors from the exhaust air. I don't think it will be rocket science just chiming in to see if anyone else has any experience with these types of filtration systems.

I think if you talk to Steve about specific items he should be helpful

I noticed in a classroom setting trying to answer questions, you get a general answer

cda said:
I think if you talk to Steve about specific items he should be helpfulI noticed in a classroom setting trying to answer questions, you get a general answer
True. On Steve's behalf, he was not the instructor but it was basically the same handout. I will give him a call. Thanks cda

I requied a Mechanical Engineer designed system, along with an Electrical Engineer. We have two medical marijuana facilities, along with a new Medical Marijuana Inovation Area that was zoned for such business's. For exhaust, i went with product conveying.

Chad Pasquini said:
I requied a Mechanical Engineer designed system, along with an Electrical Engineer. We have two medical marijuana facilities, along with a new Medical Marijuana Inovation Area that was zoned for such business's. For exhaust, i went with product conveying.
Our application now reads "floor plans shall include a mechanical exhaust/ventilation design by a licensed professional". Sound ok?

Coder said:
Our application now reads "floor plans shall include a mechanical exhaust/ventilation design by a licensed professional". Sound ok?
Some a/c people are licensed , does that mean they know anything about your project

You could look at what is submitted and decide if good or needs more work

Or just state up front you want it from an engineer

The aforementioned application is only for licensing approval. If approved, then a full blown building permit/mechanical permit will be required. This will involve a more detailed, and concise set of plans to be submitted depending on the extent of the renovation, retrofit, new construction, etc., engineering may be required at my discretion.

Growing marijuana is illegal under federal law and has been for over 80 years, by permitting and inspecting marijuana operations you are enabling law breaking, you may argue that you don't enforce federal law but to what extent are you enabling law breaking? Interesting that some here insist on enforcing federal ADA law yet refuse to enforce federal drug laws.

conarb said:
Growing marijuana is illegal under federal law and has been for over 80 years, by permitting and inspecting marijuana operations you are enabling law breaking, you may argue that you don't enforce federal law but to what extent are you enabling law breaking? Interesting that some here insist on enforcing federal ADA law yet refuse to enforce federal drug laws.
They are blessing the building, not what is used for

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to remember hearing about a bill in congress to allow VA doctors to "prescribe" marijuana for VA patients. What happened to the bill?

I think that many in the federal government appreciate that the current laws do not make sense.

Better swim fast or you'll sink like a stone. Cuz these times they are a changing.

Mark K said:
I seem to remember hearing about a bill in congress to allow VA doctors to "prescribe" marijuana for VA patients. What happened to the bill? I think that many in the federal government appreciate that the current laws do not make sense.
I've heard that the only valid medical usages are to increase appetite in patients who need it and reduce eye pressure for glaucoma patients, I have glaucoma and 30+ years of treatments have failed, the last resort was a new young doctor and I asked him if marijuana works, he said: "Yes, but the problem is that you have to constantly take it 24 hours per day and you would be constantly stoned, with all eye drops they are designed to stay on the eyeballs for a number of hours, if I did proscribe it for someone who wanted it I would have to notify the DMV that the patient's driver's license should be suspended during the time of treatment". I also told him that I have read that it decreased IQ by an average of 8 points after a year's usage, he replied that it decreases IQ much more than 8 points, but the worst side effect is that it destroys ambition in users.

I've also read that it is the biggest single consumer of water here in California, and grow houses are the biggest consumer of electricity, you guys are enforcing laws to limit toilet flushes and showers, you are also enforcing laws requiring buildings to be insulated and sealed up while you let the marijuana industry run wild.

You need to visit another doctor. There are products that will relieve ocular pressure without the stone.