• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Restroom Rqmts for Small Restaurant in Colorado

Michael.L

Apologies in advance for the long post. But I wanted to provide as much information as possible so we hopefully get some accurate responses.

We are planning to open a small donut & coffee shop in Boulder County, Colorado. The space we're planning to occupy has 1,091 total leasable space. The majority of our customers will be take-out, but we will provide a small number of non-fixed tables & chairs, and window-counter seating, for our customers who wish to dine-in; the estimated number of total seats will be ~14.

This space is located in a 1970's building that houses a bowling alley, and this space has two 36" doors: one that opens directly into the parking lot, and one that opens into the bowling alley lobby. The space has been vacant for over a decade (landlord has been using it for storage) but it was previously occupied by a frozen yogurt shop. It has only one small restroom (8'-8" x 2'-11") located in the back corner of the space, and it's clear from the partition walls that it was a staff-only restroom. Since the frozen yogurt shop shared common hours with the bowling alley, their customers were able to use the bowling alley restrooms. Our business, however, will open in the very early morning, several hours before the bowling alley opens. Therefore, it appears we will need to provide some number of restroom facilities for our customers.

Based on preliminary plans, our space will be divided up roughly as follows:
Kitchen & food preparation: 50% (540 SF)
Customer ordering & dining: 35% (380 SF)
Other (office, storage, restrooms, janitorial, etc.): 15% (165 SF)​

Referring to Table 1004.1.2 of the IBC on occupancy loads, it would appear that the customer area will be categorized as "Unconcentrated Assembly Without Fixed Seats" (15 net) and the food prep area will be categorized as "Commerical Kitchens" (200 gross). Since part of the space will be calculated as net and part as gross, I'm not sure how to assign and calculate the other areas. I suspect the storage room & janitorial closet would be counted as "Accessory storage areas" (300 gross), and the small office as "Business Areas" (100 gross). But what about the restroom(s) and any hallway area? Are they counted as part of "Kitchen" gross or not counted as part of "Assembly" net? If counted, what numbers do I use? Also, since we are a counter service restaurant, the reality is that some customers will be standing to order and receive their food. Does that mean we have to count some of our customer area into "Standing Space" (5 net)? If so, how do we make the division between "Standing" and "Unconcentrated (tables & chairs)"? Finally, if we were to place a couple of tables outside the shop, how would that impact OL for restroom calculations?

(Also, note that the only two egress doors are located in the customer area; there is no backdoor in the kitchen. I don't think this impacts restrooms, but will impact total allowable occupancy for exiting purposes.)

Another point I'm not sure about is, are the spaces occupied by interior partition walls and permanent fixtures (e.g., the customer service counter) counted in the square footage for OL calculations?

Based on my basic understanding of how these OL's are calculated (and assuming I don't have to count any of the customer area as "Standing Space"), we would have the following:
Kitchen OL: 2.7
Customer OL: 15
Office/Storage OL: 0.5
Bathroom/hallway: ???​

Is the result for each area is rounded up to an integer number? Or are the OL's for each area first summed and then rounded up? In any case, I'm probably looking at an OL of approximately 19.

Now about the restrooms. Ideally, we'd like to just enlarge the existing bathroom to make it a single unisex ADA-compliant restroom for both staff and customers. But I've come across conflicting information about the OL number for going from one to two restrooms. For example, the following are quotes from some different sources:

Minimum Facilities
As a general rule, the minimum requirement for restroom facilities is one toilet or water closet for every 30 women and every 60 men. In small establishments, employee and customer access can be combined

From the same article above:
Exceptions
In some jurisdictions, a restaurant with less than 1,200 square feet of space that accommodates no more than 20 employees and customers at one time may have a single unisex restroom, so long as it is handicap-accessible.

The first point where occupant load makes a difference is for very small establishments, we see it mostly in bakeries. When you have more than 15 occupants you are required to have two separate bathrooms, one for men and one for women. For a small establishment, that’s a big cost.

From: Code of Colorado Regulations (CCR) 1010-2: Colorado Retail Food Establishments
5-209 Toilets and Urinals
B.
Separate toilet facilities shall be required for each sex in establishments with seating capacity in excess of 20 patrons or more than 20 employees.

Also from CCR 1010-2:
5-209 Toilets and Urinals
C.
Separate toilet facilities are not required for each sex in places of 15 or fewer seating capacity for patrons, or 20 or fewer employees where there is no seating capacity, provided the toilet is a single occupancy facility and the door can be secured from the inside.

The last two sections from the CCR beg the question: What about establishments with a seating capacity greater than 15, but fewer than 20?

So, a quick call to the local city planning office yielded a general nod towards the "you must have two restrooms if >15 occupants," although the guy wouldn't really give me a firm answer and told me it's up to my architect to figure out the occupancy load and code requirements.

Basically, I'm hoping to avoid building two ADA-compliant restrooms in our already small potential space. Not only would that add significantly to our build-out costs, but they would consume a large chunk of our square footage. Ideally, we can just expand the existing restroom to make it ADA and call it good. But if the requirement is >15 total OL (and it really doesn't seem possible for us to get below that), can we designate the existing small bathroom for staff only, and just add one public unisex ADA bathroom for our customers?

Of course, we will be hiring an architect and engineer prior to construction. But I'm trying to get as many ducks in a row ahead of time, in part because I need to know if this space will work for us before committing a chunk of our budget to designing for it.

Thank you for reading!

Boy you did your homework

Sometimes if you show your seating arrangement on the plans, the city will accept the occupant load by the number of seats

So your entire place is a B occupancy, because your ol is below fifty

Sorry I don’t do potties.

One other figure would help total width and depth of the lease space.

Give it a couple of days and you will get some replies

Here is an image of the existing floor plan as provided by the landlord. I annotated the parking lot and bowling alley lobby for reference. The walk-in is not part of our space so I grayed it out. The interior partition walls can be changed or removed.

Space.png

The only way I can see one restroom is decrease the customer load and increase the kitchen/storage.
Or ask for an exemption based on additional restrooms available during busy hours in Bowling alley.

Maybe Fatboy will have something Colorado specific? I have a concern with the bathroom opening into the kitchen? And apparent lack of accessibility...

1210.4 Toilet room location. Toilet rooms shall not open
directly into a room used for the preparation of food for service
to the public.

Reactions: cda
The only way I can see one restroom is decrease the customer load and increase the kitchen/storage.
Or ask for an exemption based on additional restrooms available during busy hours in Bowling alley.

As the floor plan is set,

I take it the public would require access to the bathroom?

Meaning they would enter the kitchen area??

If maybe he should run a hallway to it, to section it off

Michael
To answer one of your questions off the occupant load factor table:::

FLOOR AREA, GROSS. The floor area within the inside perimeter of the exterior walls of the building under consideration, exclusive of vent shafts and courts, without deduction for corridors, stairways, ramps, closets, the thickness of interior walls, columns or other features. The floor area of a building, or portion thereof, not provided with surrounding exterior walls shall be the usable area under the horizontal projection of the roof or floor above. The gross floor area shall not include shafts with no openings or interior courts.

[BE]FLOOR AREA, NET. The actual occupied area not including unoccupied accessory areas such as corridors, stairways, ramps, toilet rooms, mechanical rooms and closets.

Don't get too focused on the existing layout. All that matters is the exterior shell. As I stated earlier, the interior partition walls can and will be removed. So ignore that weird angled wall. And that bathroom can be enlarged so that a door can be installed facing the parking lot (instead of facing the bowling ally lobby). That means customers could access it without entering the kitchen (which will be along the back wall (bottom of the image). Enlarging it that way would also make it ADA compliant in size.

But if the existing bathroom can be designated for staff only, then we won't enlarge it and we'll add a new single ADA unisex bathroom, which would be installed somewhere "above" that walk-in.

To answer one of your questions off the occupant load factor table:::

FLOOR AREA, GROSS. The floor area within the inside perimeter of the exterior walls of the building under consideration, exclusive of vent shafts and courts, without deduction for corridors, stairways, ramps, closets, the thickness of interior walls, columns or other features. The floor area of a building, or portion thereof, not provided with surrounding exterior walls shall be the usable area under the horizontal projection of the roof or floor above. The gross floor area shall not include shafts with no openings or interior courts.

[BE]FLOOR AREA, NET. The actual occupied area not including unoccupied accessory areas such as corridors, stairways, ramps, toilet rooms, mechanical rooms and closets.

I get all that, if the entire space is to be designated one way or the other. But how do you divide a space that has some areas designated gross and some areas designated net? If the kitchen is gross and the dining area is net, can the restrooms and corridors (assuming they're accessible to customers) be grouped with the dining room so they don't have to be counted as part of the kitchen's gross SF? What about the 60 square foot customer service counter that effectively splits the room between the food prep area and the dining area? Is that counted as part of gross kitchen area, or not counted as part of net dining area?

As a BO, I would let you wiggle that number to make it work with the one bathroom....keep the counter under net and lose that sqftage as well as maybe some walls...

I get all that, if the entire space is to be designated one way or the other. But how do you divide a space that has some areas designated gross and some areas designated net? If the kitchen is gross and the dining area is net, can the restrooms and corridors (assuming they're accessible to customers) be grouped with the dining room so they don't have to be counted as part of the kitchen's gross SF? What about the 60 square foot customer service counter that effectively splits the room between the food prep area and the dining area? Is that counted as part of gross kitchen area, or not counted as part of net dining area?

Normally a few people one way or the other does not matter when it comes to code requirements.

When it does, that is when the occupant load can be looked at closer. Normally I do the lump factor. Lump one area as one factor, and another area as another factor.

But in your case, sounds like lower numbers may help you.

You can always submit whatever OL number you want to the city, and see if it flies!! you never know sometimes.

If you are talking a few dollars, you might hire a code consultant to advise you, sometimes the money spent, saves money!!!

Here is a good one in Colorado :::

https://www.coloradocode.net/about/company-directory/

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far. Hopefully, more will contribute.

And CDA, I do appreciate the referral to the code consultant. :)

M,
Was this space originally an accessory to the bowling area and now its a separate space?
Is there a sprinkler system?

By the way, you did a good job calculating your OL and providing a nice layout!:). It will be some real magic to see how your "man who draws" comes up with only one bathroom if the OL is >15.

The building is a square. Centered inside the square is a large "T" shaped space which is the bowling alley. The vertical stem of the "T" is the long extended entrance/lobby and the horizontal top bar of the "T" is the alley itself. There are storefront spaces in the front of the building on either side of the bowling entrance. So I don't think it was an accessory space to the bowling alley, but I don't know for sure. All I know was that it once contained a frozen yogurt shop.

Yes, there are fire sprinklers in the space. So AFAIK that's not a concern.

I didn't provide that layout; that's the old configuration left behind by the former yogurt shop. We'll be tearing out the interior partition walls and putting in new walls to suit our purposes.

You have to have whole people, when
You calculate ol

So like your office example .5

Has to be 1, and before you add all the areas

It is a business thing on what occupant load you can live/ work with.

So figure your employee needs, than design the customer area so it adds up to less than 15.

So make the back area bigger

Show tables and chairs on the plans, with only enough seating for the ol.

Most cities do not come back after you open and count people in your business.

It is a business thing on what occupant load you can live/ work with.

So figure your employee needs, than design the customer area so it adds up to less than 15.

So make the back area bigger

Show tables and chairs on the plans, with only enough seating for the ol.

Most cities do not come back after you open and count people in your business.
The problem is that our dining area is a long horizontal strip along the inside front wall due to the wide & shallow nature of the space and the locations of the doors. Most of that dining area has to be clear space for people to be able to enter/exit using the side door to the bowling alley. So even though our seating will be few (based on layouts I've done, we can fit only ~14 seats) we can't really reduce the customer space any more because then people can't walk freely between the tables and the service counter.

The problem is that our dining area is a long horizontal strip along the inside front wall due to the wide & shallow nature of the space and the locations of the doors. Most of that dining area has to be clear space for people to be able to enter/exit using the side door to the bowling alley. So even though our seating will be few (based on layouts I've done, we can fit only ~14 seats) we can't really reduce the customer space any more because then people can't walk freely between the tables and the service counter.

If you show seating for 14 in that entire area, it may fly

Welcome!

You have armed yourself with ample information, I would suggest as cda did, a code consultant to assist. Colorado Code is an outstanding resource.

Then, a sit down with the Building Official, or the Plans Examiner, in Boulder County, see what their take on it is.

Good luck, keep us posted!